Procedurally Generated Planets On Roblox|Spacenauts Outdated Post

What is Spacenauts?
Spacenauts is an indie Roblox experience based on the popular indie game “No Man´s Sky”
Spacenauts is currently under development, your main mission will be to survive, fight, collect and trade.
Spacenauts has a Procedurally Generated Planet Technology made by its creator and it includes: Procedurally Generated Voxel Based Relief, Procedurally Generated Trees, Proceduraly Generated Minerals, Realistic Atmospheres, Rings, Realistic Physics and Gravity,Water, A Built In Rendering System For Increased Performance and Procedurally Generated Names.

Every planet is different and unique on each server, they’re generated when the server opens.

Update:
Changed Terrain Generation, Added New Terrain Feautures, Added New Texturees, New Lighting Effects, New Tree Generation, New Plants and More Diverse Relief

Update 2:
Added a terrain draw and undraw system for enhanced performance and crash issue fix.
Terrain draw and undraw system allows more diverse planets.
Terrain draw and undraw system allowed the maximum planet count to increase from 4 up to 6 planets per server.
Added moons and a realistic planet pre-render.

This Topic is only intended to be an updated version of the previous Spacenauts Topic.

In-Game Images:
Snowy Worlds:

Uploading: Captura de pantalla (1750).png…

Lush World:

Desertic World:

Radioactive World:

Planets Seen From Space:

20 Likes

This is beautiful, but I do have a small-question, how did you manage to generate the terrain like that?

5 Likes

perlin noises and a year of experience and learning :).

4 Likes

How big is the planet? Is it spherical or flat?

4 Likes

spherical, from like 36 million studs to 65 million studs surface.
Planet’s radius are randomly chosen.
Also the planet count per server is random, up to 6 planets can be generated.

How are you getting around floating point errors with such large numbers? Do you have a floating origin system?

3 Likes

Looks cool, but are you using some kind of LOD algorithm, how does gravity work in your game?
It’s not end of my questions, I want to ask how did you make this possible that players won’t fall of the “world”, are you using some weird cosine and sine math magic? Another question if the position of a player is relative to closest space object force or is the position of a player relative to world space?

1 Like

Im working on chunk loading for better performance but I don’t use any LOD system, I use a rendering system that loads and unloads things if you are far away from them including terrain.
Gravity Works with roblox physics.
I use ego moose’s gravity controller, a very well known module.
And, I don’t understand your last question.

1 Like

Player’s position must be relative to something, usually it’s to world space.
Idk how it works in your game…

1 Like

it is (Words asfxsaadfadfadgfa)

1 Like

What if planet moves, did you include that you need to move them due to the gravity?
And update position of every object if it’s not relative to the planet?

1 Like

planets don’t move (Words fdgdf)

1 Like

You think that I am going to move the world the player is standing on? Well, no, actually the universe around player will move, except the object player’s standing on…

1 Like

actually the only thing that moves is the Sun anc clouds

1 Like

This looks truly amazing, definitely keep up the good work :+1:

3 Likes