Procedurally Generated Woodlands

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

A couple days out of the week I dedicate to small little side/passion projects. Recently I’ve started to delve into procedural terrain generation.

I’d like to share a completely procedurally generated wet woodlands map(4k * 4k) studs I generated this evening in 50 seconds!

I use Fractal Brownian Motion with lots of parameter tweaking to decide both the valley/mountain heights, materials, and asset placement. I also use multi fractal ridged noise along certain peaks, and perhaps soon for rivers(but water in general is a nightmare so we’ll see)

Here are some cool videos and screenshots I took

Let me know what you think!

54 Likes

That looks incredible, just wow!
It’s so detailed and realistic how it looks, especially with the lighting.
I think the trees could use a bit more leaves, but other than that, you did an amazing job!
Keep up the good work. :+1:

2 Likes

These look so natural! This can’t be real, you must’ve employed wizardry. Does the ministry of magic know about you showing it off to muggles?

For real though, epic job. I wish this was a #resources:community-resources post so I could have a play with it myself!

3 Likes

Here’s a place link if anyone wants to check it out in game :slight_smile:

This place is massive with lots of assets so if your pc is a potato - you’ve been warned

https://www.roblox.com/games/3871189455/Testing

I’d make it generate a new map with a random seed every time, but the generation can take a few minutes and it’ll take even longer to replicate to clients until I move the generation to the client and optimize it. So it’s just the one I generated :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This showcase Really cool when i see the sun rising i love it and the trees was moving and the birds sound its really amazing good job…

Personally, I appreciate the way you added the realistic graphics for this woodlands.
The woodlands to be honest, would look better in a new version of a camping or forest game in Roblox which I can say, this is recommendable to be applied to both games.
But I would like to suggest, to add some more trees because most forests have a dense number of trees around them.
Also, I really appreciate the terrain structures they’re really good in my opinion.

That actually leaves me breathless. I’ve never heard of using Brownian motion to sculpt landscapes, so I guess you’ve just blown my mind! The low poly trees somehow contrast well with the textured terrain. If this is utilised in a game someday I’d have to check it out. Keep up the great work!

This feels like a wonderful place! I really like the way you choose to make with the assets that can be able to move itself, and it feels very nice to explore around on the generated Woodlands. It has the beautiful feelings on the place to look around on the view.

The question is; how and when did you come up with the concept that can be able to generate terrains, including the assets itself? Does it take long to generate the terrains? How does the assets move? And lastly, how does the generations work? It would be a pleasure to let us know your response!

Overall, I really like the concept! Your plan has a wonderful idea to show your own creations by your imagination.

Keep up the amazing work. :+1:

This is nice and all but will it top bush simulator?

Seriously though, well done. Procedural generation is something I want to get into before I graduate High School. However you learned this so well and managed to make such a beautiful landscape, please do share. This forest looks better than ones I make by hand :grimacing:

1 Like

I’d second the comment made about the sounds, I think these in some ways steal the show from the map itself (not really, since we know the effort that went into this procedural generation, but still) Good music/SFX can make a huge difference in games and is pretty underrated.

1 Like

@Phexonia

how and when did you come up with the concept that can be able to generate terrains, including the assets itself?

If you’re asking how I came up with the idea to generate terrain procedurally, I’ve always been a fan of procedural generation in games for two reasons.

A: It’s way easier than making the terrain by hand and placing assets by hand. I don’t even know how long this example place would’ve taken by hand… Some studio smooth terrain sculpter pros can probably give me a better idea here.

B: When the world is generated procedurally/with a random seed, it makes it more fun for me to explore because I don’t know what to expect and it’s always really exciting finding new things and cool little areas

Does it take long to generate the terrains?

a 4k * 4k map took me about 3 minutes with three phases, 1st phase being chunk generation, 2nd phase being drawing, 3rd phase being asset placement. This however can be optimized, I just haven’t had the chance yet.

How does the assets move?

CFrame, tried constraints but they’re probably more performance intensive, and I couldn’t get them working right anyways

How does the generations work?

To generate terrain I use roblox’s built in perlin noise function on a 2D chunk grid. I use something called Fractal Brownian Motion which is just a fancy term for layering multiple octaves together which affect frequency and amplitude per octave.
I also use some multi-fractal ridged noise on some mountains, and other small transformations on the noise output to get the results I want. I use noise for height, materials, and asset placement all with their own tweaked parameters. Most of it is just trial and error.

There are various tutorials online for this kind of stuff but this is a great RDC talk by @Crazyman32 which goes over the basics.

@snorebear

6 Likes

This is awesome! Nice work! I really love seeing more people start to use procedural generation to build out their worlds.

3 Likes

WOW! That right there, sir, is a work of art. The beautiful landscape combined with lighting…

2 Likes

you are a magic man, i could never make a map so unique and so realistic in my life! some of the trees could have a bit more leaves so they wont look as bare as they do but other than that its a fantastic map.

Would it be possible for you to make this open source? It would be amazing to have a look at how you handled the placing of the trees, rocks, shrubs, etc