Projected Reticle Optics Module

I made a Module that can be used to create realistically projected optics, I am very new to scripting so please be gentle and leave suggestions or feedback.

It assumes this kind of structure, which is commonly used when making gun optics

ancestry
It also assumes that the SurfaceGui.Face is set to front, however this is easily modifyable.

API:
Reticle.new(Cam instance,ZeroDistance int,Decal instance,Surface instance)
returns Reticle object
Cam: Your camera
ZeroDistance: The distance at which the reticle is projected(doesn’t account for bulletdrop)
Decal: ImageLabel of the reticle
Surface: Surface that the reticle is projected onto

Reticle:Update(lookVector Vector3)
Should be tied to a RunService event, updates reticle based on the given lookVector.
You should give the LookVector of something that faces the direction that your bullet will fire.

Reticle:Destroy()

https://www.roblox.com/library/7709787645/Projected-Reticle-Module

Edit:
You sometimes have to wrap the call of the Update() function into a coroutine or a spawned function for it to work.

20 Likes

Pretty cool, but by chance was this inspired by @.PoptartNoahh 's new VR weapon showcase?

1 Like

I have stumbled across it while trying to realize this, but it wasn’t inspired by that. Insane stuff tho!

Hey. Your video isn’t working :sweat_smile:

Do you think you could do a quick tutorial to set this up? I sort of understand what to do but at the same time I don’t. I’m trying to use this to make realistic scope reticles.

1 Like

Can someone explain to me how I’m supposed to get this working?

1 Like