Proper feedback for when a place is too large to save/publish

As it stands, there are practical limits in place for the file size of cloud-hosted Roblox saves. Although many developers will never reach them, my team has. Currently, it is impossible to know (to my knowledge) whether a place is large enough to exceed these limits, aside from attempting to save or publish repeatedly, which takes minutes at a time for each attempt. Because of this, I would like as a feature to be given a notification whenever Studio thinks my game may be exceeding or nearing these limits. Even something as simple as a pop-up when a place is opened would be very helpful.

What decides whether one of our places exceeds the upload limit is often arbitrary and confusing, but the consequences for when it does are heavy. When attempting to publish, the screen or prompt will hang for several minutes before failing. This can be repeated indefinitely with the same result.

Not only is the time spent waiting on these attempts wasted, but it also adds strain to my developers. Whenever we reach a limit, we need to engineer ways to reduce the file size. This disrupts our development cycle because of how nebulous these limits are. We often don’t know we’ve exceeded a limit until a night we’ve scheduled a test or release.

The worst consequence is in team create servers where data loss is a possibility. On several occasions, our large places will fail to properly save our recent changes. This occurs with no warning. Even attempting a backup using version control is a gamble, since the large size of these places means that version control may take a long time to push a new version. I say may, because to this day I have never had the version control feature work properly for a large team create place.

All-in-all, I believe this needs to happen. As Roblox matures, it is inevitable that more and more complex games will appear that are going to push this practical size boundary. While the limit is understandable, developers deserve to be able to see how it affects their games with much more transparency.

9 Likes

Encountered this issue during the Accelerator program. We had to go through a technical contact only to find out that our place file was around 36+ GB and we were forced to split our experience 4 → 40+ places. A warning would definitely have helped us save at least a day of problem solving - luckily we did not have to make any compromises to our designs as a result of this.

1 Like