Prototype Map Builder, useful for FPS games

Map Builder

by MrBoogle

Introduction

Hello there,

I am Boogle, and I am a terrible builder. I am constantly making FPS type projects, mainly just for practice for when I can finish an actual project. The issue is, is I am always stuck with a baseplate because I can’t build anything half decent for the life of me.

So I decided to program a plugin that can use a number format to build a map for me. The number format is actually very simple in how it works.

Number Format

Each wall is a 14 character long number. An example of these numbers would look like this

This number make look overwhelming, but I assure you it is very simple to understand.

Lets go through it.
01 This is the color of the line, I have made a 99 color palette for this, which is an odd number but the main reason was I did not want to make colors use 3 bytes of data. It can easily be expanded upon.

045 This is the angle of the wall. The current map builder I have provided does not use this, but I plan to eventually make a version that uses this.

050 This is the length of the wall. This can be changed in the map builder, but the plugin will currently make any wall that has a length of <= 64 a square.

200 This is the X position of the wall

400 This is the Z position of the wall

Why this can be useful.

This plugin can be useful if you are making prototype maps for your game. Currently that is all I would be using it for. I plan to add lots of features that would actually make this useful. I was thinking of making custom entities support, so you could make the plugin create objects in certain places if you wish.

Example

Map builder

Studio

Setup

This is a simple plugin to use, but please realize it currently uses an external map builder(that is really not good) the Map Builder is an EXE file, and I don’t have plans to change this one for any more platforms.

Plugin Link: Map Loader - Roblox

Map Builder Application: MapBuilder.zip (1.6 MB) Warning: This program may be detected as a virus in Windows, this is due to the fact it deletes old map files when you open it.

Map Builder Application (Anti-Virus): I have changed a few things in this version to hopefully prevent Windows Defender detecting this as a virus. This version does no longer automatically delete old map files, and also uses less CPU. MapBuilder.zip (1.6 MB)

When you design a map in the map builder, just exit the application and it will automatically save a file to your application directory called map.boogmap

This file will be in UTF-16le binary, which means it will not work by default. So you need to run the encode.bat application, and it will encode it in UTF-8 and delete the old map.boogmap file and create a output_map.boogmap file which you can then load into the application. If you get confused, please let me know and I will elaborate.

More Info

The application for the map builder was created in Clickteam Fusion 2.5 Developer Edition

The example file was created by @poopernugetman

If you have concerns or questions, please leave them below.

This plugin uses a custom file format I made called *.boogmap, very corny right. It just contains a lot of numbers according to the number format above. This technically means you can edit it in a text document editor and make any changes you desire.

Warning: This plugin requires the file encoding to be UTF-8 or else it will error

I provided a python file that will convert UTF-16le files to UTF-8, which is what the map builder outputs.

Features and future plans

Map Builder V1 (Current One)

• Basic grid like placement of squares
  • Windows Application Only
  • No color preview

Map Builder V2 (Upcoming)

• Vertex like placement, walls will have different angles and lengths to adapt for your need. Similar to a Doom Wad map.
  • Will be wrote in Python to allow for more support of platforms
  • Color preview
  • Custom entity lists, allows you to spawn health kits / power ups at a point

Custom Map Builders

If you follow the number format above, there is nothing stopping you from creating your own map builders for this.

Thanks for reading my post! :slight_smile:

36 Likes

Post note
This requires Python3 to run, you might be able to get away with Python2 tho.

4 Likes

Nice little plugin, would recommend. Has a lot of potential for map building, and can make your job a little easier once you get used to it.

Great! Now i can make my maps Easier!

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

22/65 Antiviruses detect this file. Download at your own risk.

Probably because of the .dat file or the .py, but not 100% sure.

Does this mean it will be coming to MacOS? If so, you can use XCode if you find it easier. Overall though, it seems like a great software!