Provide API to let plugins know when Studio loaded

Recently, I created a thread talking about the errs of plugin development & documentation. While I was working on my plugin, I found 0 documentation & sign of any API that exists to let plugins know that studio is ready & your plugin can start functioning.

As a developer, my work flow would greatly increase with the fix of new API that would allow me to know when to run my plugin. For instance, you cannot run DataStores immediately upon startup in your plugin or Studio will stall in TeamCreate. This can be protected by adding a wait(5), but now I have to wait for my plugin to start rather than simply having it ready to go. An API would resolve this and would allow me to utilize waiting until studio loads to run my functions, rather than having an independent wait that stalls the loading of a plugin.

I propose that there would be a Studio Service event named Loaded, so you can run it like any event:

StudioService.Loaded:Connect(run)

Utilizing this, I can create plugins that utilize studio straight from the get-go. There also has been a bug report made that mentions their plugin runs before studio, which is not desired behavior.

10 Likes

Also had this issue when working on some plugins, would be super useful to have.

Also worth mentioning that game:IsLoaded() and game.Loaded (which should be used for checking if a game is loaded) both do not work in studio

3 Likes

I created a post last year regarding on this issue but it still hasn’t been fixed. What my workaround was to create a custom load function by using descendantadded and wait until nothing is loaded into studio for a certain time.

Would definitely love to have this new API tho

1 Like