Proximity Prompt Studio Beta

Change your quick-insert menu settings to show all objects, not just recommended objects.

10 Likes

When you go in first person with this feature on a part and you hover over the Interact Frame your mouse get’s stuck.

14 Likes

Thanks for trying out our new feature! During the beta, it will only be available in Studio.

5 Likes

This is really good! It makes 3D interaction so much better.

3 Likes

Great catch! It’s been updated.

6 Likes

Am I able to customize how and what get’s shown? Like if I wanted a certain image shown instead of some generic text. Anyway, seems cool but lacks a lot of versatility. EDIT: When I say “how” , I mean if I can specify tweens and such along with it.

3 Likes

Great questions, we really appreciate the feedback!

1. The prompt that is closest to the center of the screen is prioritized. In our testing, we found this to be the most intuitive approach for users.

2. That’s a really interesting use case for a custom priority system. We will look into what this would involve.

15 Likes

Any ETA on when this will be live for use in production? I absolutely went crazy reading this, since in a project of mine I want this behavior, luckily I won’t have to code it myself. Literally thank you.

8 Likes

Wat is this… I thought I’d never see the day…

Awesome update, Roblox! I actually am in need of this for my upcoming game. It’s great to know Roblox is actively working on cool updates that can free up time from simpler tasks to spend on harder tasks.

1 Like

This is legendary! Thank you so much! One question. How do we use our own UI? I do not see how.

3 Likes

Thanks for answering; glad it doesn’t use the task scheduler.
I have a few more questions if that’s fine, one of them being missed because I edited it into my post afterwards (sorry about that)

1. Wouldn’t RequiresLineOfSight still allow for situations where the character can interact with something through a wall if Invisicam is being used? If so, would there be any way to prevent that in the future?
  2. Looking at the API, it looks like this can also used on the server. Is there any kind of protection aginast exploiters if used on the server (for example, can an exploiter activate buttons without being near them or activate buttons that are required to be held down instantly) or do we have to implement that ourselves?
1 Like

https://streamable.com/cign2d

This is amazing, specially for me that scripting is super difficult for me!

@crypto_mancer I have a question, can i use this for make a rig play an animation?

• If yes, how i do it?
2 Likes

More great questions!

1. This should work fine - if a wall is transparent because invisicam is used, the player will still not be able to interact with a ProximityPrompt through that wall. It may be possible for the player to angle the camera in a way to attempt to interact with objects behind a wall in certain camera modes. We have tried hard to make this feel right.

2. There is a server-side check to make sure the player is near the prompt to avoid this sort of exploit. For the HoldDuration feature, it is possible for a hacker to overcome this as the animation happens client-side. If your game’s security relies on HoldDuration, you will need to send events to the server on hold start/end to verify the timing.

11 Likes

This looks really convenient! Is there any plans for more extensive prompts? for example, I might want to press E to bring up a prompt that then allows me to chose multiple options, such as repairing or removing a tire from a car.

6 Likes

I believe what you’re describing (or what I am comprehending), is essentially a garage menu. This is achievable already, in the form of listening for when the Proximity Prompt is triggered and then bringing up your menu with options. (Options will be programmed individually). Let me know if you are talking about something else because this is just what I comprehend, cheers! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My idea originally was that you would be able to essentially have a sub menu that would come up when you trigger the prompt. It would be something like this in context:

1. Hold E on a furniture item to activate the proximity prompt
  2. Menu appears where you can either edit or remove the object

After thinking about it some more though, it may be more simple to just let developers create these sub menus themselves. Just a thought though.

3 Likes

Agreed on this one, I do love the fact that Roblox has simplified the way of making UserInput Prompts, I do believe we should have just a teensie bit more customisation options. As many have expressed, the current way of making custom UI on these prompts are through Scripts, which is a very complicated way of doing things, especially for new aspiring developers. I do think your suggestions are good ones, though. Cheers on that one! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can’t wait to try to use this, although, not sure how much it will help seeing how I can’t write a simple script to make a door open with this anyways.

1 Like

The ObjectText will not update until you move away from the porximityPromt and have it re-render. As I change the ObjectText in the script it won’t update.

2 Likes

I like the way you are heading, however the frame behind the “Jeep/Drive” is a bit unnecessary.