PSA - App Backgrounding Now Supported on iOS!

Nah, it would work the same way some games detect whether or not Roblox is the window that’s being focused on the client’s end on PC

2 Likes

Agreed. Just look at @Gojinhan 's reply. Mine wasn’t elaborated well.

1 Like

RenderStepped does fire while minimized:

Notice that the deltaTimes reported do not fluctuate past what they normally would, if it stopped while minimized then atleast one of them would report roughly around a full-second as that’s about how long I minimized it for.

4 Likes

This for sure improves my iOS Roblox experience! I cant tell you how annoying it was to get a call, tap it, and then I would be disconnected. Thank you!

3 Likes

Well then, UserInputService’s Focus Lost event would do it.

1 Like

No - this feature would not be default to Roblox but instead a function inside the Roblox API, and from there the developer would implement it to work however they want. If it’s abused, that’s not the fault of Roblox but of the developer’s implementation.

3 Likes

Precisely.

Granted, that’s less of a problem with this event existing; and more of a problem of giving people a forcefield for being afk.

^

1 Like

Thank you! As an iPad player, this is a great change! I’m really happy to see your team is improving mobile.

2 Likes

Roblox already provides events for desktop users incase they click another window on their pc.

I don’t see why or how this would get abused.

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/event/UserInputService/WindowFocused

3 Likes

Then maybe forcefield and freeze and dismiss all actions until the client fires that they’re back?

Or just let the person who went afk, take the damage for being afk without leaving.

This is all stuff a developer can decide to fix or patch on their own, Roblox shouldn’t just not release a feature to ‘protect us’.

1 Like

Scroll down the thread. I corrected myself.

2 Likes

Absolutely fantastic! So excited to see this finally implemented! You would not believe the amount of times I’d click on a call by accident and lose my spot in the game, this is an amazing addition!

1 Like

Thank you! I cant wait to see this on Android as well, if you could, please let me know when you enable longer backgrounding Android! As a Android and iOS enthusiast, this is great to see.

Edit: spoke with @goldzun

IMPORTANT: I have found a serious camera bug that appears after backgrounding on Android that makes experiences almost unplayable without rejoining. Feel free to pm me to get repro, video, and affected device list.

3 Likes

A great feature for most users, won’t be using it personally since my phone supports floating windows which helps.

2 Likes

I have a suggestion, could we have up to 180 seconds on iOS 13+ since the newer devices don’t use iOS 13, or is this just a limitation the team came across?

2 Likes

Useful update for once :clap:

finally won’t get kicked for accidentally pressing home or power

3 Likes

Let’s go! I rarely play on Ipad but I do remember being kicked from games when I left for a second. I do think 30 seconds is a little low. maybe 1 minute total would be better (On all iOS version, keep it consistent preferably).

Out of curiosity, why are there different Backgrounding times for differ iOS versions?

2 Likes

As a person who mostly has Apple devices for mobile testing or when I’m out and about, this is amazing as I also want to respond to texts whilst playing/testing Roblox games without losing my place or forgetting what I was doing!

1 Like

Yes!!! Thank you Roblox!!! Probably one of my most wanted features.

1 Like

This is really useful for my friends!

1 Like