PSA - App Backgrounding Now Supported on iOS!

Is there a reason why older versions get longer background times compared to newer versions?

30 seconds is enough for most scenarios but I was wondering why it is this way out of curiosity.

7 Likes

This is a good update for when people have to take an important call and not want to lose there progress but I whuld make the time closer to 1 minute for IOS13+ But other than that nice update for iPhones.

1 Like

does it also work on iPadOS? because sometimes people can forget that iOS and iPadOS are different

3 Likes

Hey everyone, seems like there are a few question regarding the amount of time Roblox can be backgrounded. A couple of clarifications:

1. This is not a guarantee of any time amount. You may get UP TO 30-180 seconds. Depending on what else your device is running, Roblox may be forcefully suspended by the OS.
  2. Later versions of iOS have shorter backgrounded time allowances. This is a limitation set at the OS level.

Thanks for all the feedback and keep it coming! We are constantly trying to improve this flow, so all feedback is welcome.

26 Likes

And this would be good for devs and the player while not have to join back or the player can just decide not to play but when itā€™s still open when youā€™re in the call I have a feeling players will stay longer

1 Like

Iā€™m glad weā€™ve finally got this feature - previously it was such a pain to do stuff like respond to a text message or receive a call. Will we receive a way to check if a player has the app running in the background (something like Player.Backgrounding or Player.IsAFK). Also to me it makes sense that having the app running in the background would fire Player.Idled.

4 Likes

This update is truly one of the best updates I have seen in my almost 5 years of playing Roblox. I cannot tell you how many times Iā€™ve been playing a game on a mobile device, and all of a sudden I lose my spot in a game because a notification comes up or my friend tries to text me. This update will be so helpful to me in the future, and I am proud to be a member of the Roblox community today, and I have been able to see Roblox grow since I was young. I am excited for the evolution of this platform, and I hope to be there to see it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I have tested it on my iPad and it works.

1 Like

This update is great for mobile players who watch tutorials! They can now switch back and forth without getting disconnected!

1 Like

A welcomed update!

I remember playing ROBLOX on my tablet years ago and not being able to leave without it closing out on me, so itā€™s nice to know that this is no longer the case.

Will this be possible on Amazon devices, by any chance? I donā€™t know of many people who play ROBLOX on them but itā€™s on the Amazon Appstore.

1 Like

i had a fire tablet laying around (donā€™t ask why) and you can do backgrounding, itā€™s just super short

1 Like

Hey yall!
One last update (hopefully) because I think theres some confusion on this. Roblox actually already supports backgrounding (up to 30 seconds) on Android! The team is looking into ways to extend that time period :smiley:

6 Likes

Thatā€™s what we wanted to hear :slight_smile:

I was hoping this would be added to iOS!

OH wow, I never knew that was a thing at all, apple or android. Even though Iā€™m an android user this is really exciting!

Although I donā€™t use an iPad or iPhone (I have an Android A50), still amazing to see this feature added to iOS.

I understand if its not possible (on yours or Apples end), but could you theoretically contact Apple to attempt to get some sort of exception?

Thank you guys, and I hope you guys support the possibilityā€™s of adding support for other file types!

Thank you-

1 Like

Thank you!!! I hate how much I happen to leave games by mistake! And i was hoping to be added it to IOS! THis update is great for mobile players. Iā€™m really happy, And its Useful update for once!

Thank you so much Roblox keep up the good work

2 Likes

NICE! You know how annoying when I accidentally swipe up from my screen

Good Job Roblox!

2 Likes

You know most iOS players are iPad players and multi tasking (floating windows) exists. Still, not everyone knows you can just pull the browser version of YouTubeā€¦ Well for those who donā€™t, yeah i guess itā€™s quite useful?

I was actually waiting to hear that! Because people usually donā€™t talk for 30 seconds and then come back to an experience on mobile devices.