PSA: How to format the shrug emote correctly in discourse

I see people posting this all the time:
raw: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
result: ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Where is his arm? It doesn’t appear, because the backslash isn’t formatted correctly. In discourse the underscore is markup, so you have to escape it in order to make it appear correctly. That’s what it thinks the backslash is doing, so it doesn’t appear. You have to add a second backslash to make the first backslash appear.
raw: ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯
result: ¯\(ツ)

Now his biceps are gone. Since you escaped the backslash, discourse interpreted the underscores as formatting to make the face italic. You have to escape the underscores as well.
raw: ¯\\\_(ツ)\_/¯
result: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now stop posting broken shrugs.

32 Likes

Thank you for helping to enhance the quality of the developer forum. Your contribution is valuable.

8 Likes

Nice explanation.
¯_(ツ)_/¯

14 Likes

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

`s 4 life

OOF

As you can see, quoting them isn’t smart enough to escape it again :frowning:

_/¯(ツ)¯\_

Am I doing it right?

Spider! _/¯(ツ)¯\_¯\_¯\_¯\_

10 Likes

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ I think I got it…

6 Likes

Oh my blox make it stop

1 Like

(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง
did i do it

2 Likes

So let’s see, a backslash, and another one, and an extra on on the other side, and ¯ͪ͑̆̆͒̒͂҉̣̭̬̪̜̣̞͉̞̩̞͈̘̘̯̩̰͠ͅ\̶̵̡̲̩̝̖̣͖̟͕̖̩̘̱̺̹̳̟͌ͥ̋̉͛̈́ͮ̔ͩ̒̆͒͌̅͂ͧ̽͊͂͢ͅ\̧̧̙̘̤͔̹̪̭̙̞̫̝̗̱̼͓̂̋̾͊͛̔ͩ͌̎ͭ̐ͨͪ̍́̚̚͘͡\̸̼͕̥̞̤̩̯̘̫̻͕̱̘̳̗̾ͦͧ̃̊̏ͤ̈͒ͥͫͅ_̶̸͙̤͔̲̬͎̭̍̃ͤͪ͗ͥ̈̅̊ͬͪ̇̈͆̚͜͟(̶̹͈̺͓̖͇̣͊̌́ͫ̔ͪ̉͐̿̊̀͗͜͢ツ̡̥̼͈͚̗̪͔̯̦̝̫̱̣̮̂ͯ̆̉̽̀̓ͫ͜)̡͔͉̩̥͈ͫ̂̋̿͑̄̂̊ͥͩͨ̏͑̑ͭ͑ͬ̍̀̚\̵̷̮͖̟̰͕̙̮̲̼̖̪͖̪̣̥͔̜ͤͧ̅ͮ͡͡_̶͔̪̙̱̞͔͖̩̣͙͐͑̾͐̃̔͌̋̌̏ͨͦͨ͆ͦͫ͜/̸̝̯͍̙̣̪͙̗̠͙͇̮̠̥̪͇̑ͭ͗ͪ̊̒̀͠¯̷̴̡͔̪̰̥̹͇͕̫̝̩̖͓̠̜̍͒̿ͤ̇̌̾̏̐̏̀ͨ̂͐̇͢

Ö̠̫́̄̏̅H̔̆̿҉̨̖ ̛̅ͧ̓͑͊͏̪̣͓N͈̤̝̍̇͆ͫ͐̂ͨ̊̚O̸̪͔͈̼͍̜̙͍͑ͨ̿̓ ̱͔̥̤̗̲̝̱̈́ͤ̕̕W̪̟͚͙͚̫̌̄ͧ̉̾͂ͨ̀̚H̢͖̠̞͕͌Aͫ҉̱̭̦͎̣̳ͅȚ̛̙͚̦̪̗̣̻ͮ̈͌͒̉͒͒̔̄͟ ̠͎̲̥̹͎̤͍̈̓̈̈̃̀͡͠H̻̫̆̽͆͗̎͌̆ͯ̚͟A̳͎̰̲̪͔̩͆̿̎̈ͧͅV̷̙̲̱̟̳̙̪̂ͪ̕͢E̩̲̥͉͍͖̋͆̽͂ͮ͑̆̿̇͢ ͖̜̓̽̉I̢̧͍̜̼̼ͨ̉͜ ͒ͦ͊ͣ͏̣̪͇͚̥̱̺̳͢Ḑ̴͚̫̙͍͍̦̙̃͛͗̽͛͘O̷̮͓̭̗͌̆̃̍ͥ̅Nͨ͛̌̐̈́̌͏̝͇̻̹̳͠ͅĘ̸͈̪͚̈͋ͬ̇͡ͅ

2 Likes

Am I doing it right?
/\(ツ)/\¯

1 Like

¯(°_o)/¯

This one is better.

1 Like

leaked sharksie’s mugIMG_0540

3 Likes

Official Sharksie™ Merch Coming Soon™

2 Likes

¯\_(ツ)_/¯