PSA: How to get people to actually buy your work

Hey developers,

I wanted to create this post cause I see epically smaller creators offering services like a map or an asset, and it’s not getting purchased. I created this post to help you and teach you how to get your services bought.

Reasons your services are not getting purchased:

• You are not taking your time and you are trying to get your portfolio out there as soon as possible

• You are rushing your work

• You are comparing yourself to professionals or high-end developers

• You are not confident in yourself

What to do to turn your service cons into pros:

Keep in mind everything I had stated via “Reasons your services are not getting purchased” is not what you wanna do period.

You want to try to turn your cons into pros to attract customers or clients to actually purchase your service or assets of some sort. People are not gonna buy your asset of some sort or service if you don’t take your time and actually use your time wisely while creating your asset or service. So take your time, use your time wisely, work your hardest, and stay confident.

Time management

Time management is key while having a commission or doing a service. So you want to use the time wisely, efficiently, and not terribly. You always wanna have slots for when you do commissions and other life things. I would recommend using Trello or using a notepad of some sort to mark down your schedule. Example of a Trello board:

That is just a brief understanding of what you can do with a Trello board.

I would recommend Trello over anything cause it’s super easy to set up and it’s not hard to organize.

I am not familiar with any other useful and free time management apps, if you have any suggestions feel free to comment on them below!

Showcasing

You need to have an organized showcase tab and easy to access showcase tab.

A showcase tab is key so people viewing or considering commissioning you want to see your work.

Example of an organized showcase:

Small Builds

Images would be inserted here

Medium Builds

Large Builds

(How to do the tabs: [details="NameHere"]
[/details] )

I would always recommend using the Tabs like I did for “Small Builds”, etc so it’s more organized!

Payment

Payment is always up to you but this is usually how I do it.

There’s lots of stuff that goes into payment such as size, how long it took, quantity. That is just a little brief of how much REALLY goes into payment. I would recommend setting standard prices and then if you would want to negotiate with the client you very much well can.

ToS

Again your ToS is completely up to you. I usually do it like this:

1. I do not accept gift cards as a payment method

2. I can cancel an order at any time

3. You can not cancel an order mid completion

4. Prices may vary everything is subject to change at some point

5. Max order quantity at once is 3.

6. Just do it right I do not wanna run into legal issues.

Reminder: That is just an example and is sort of what I do!

ToS is a very important piece of your portfolio or resume. You can’t make it too strict or people won’t be interested in your asset or service causes they can’t really work with exceptions. You can’t really have too many ToS rules or a client would not be interested in commissioning you or hiring you of any sort. I would recommend keeping it short but informative for the client.

Thanks for reading this post to the end if it was helpful make sure to drop a like and if you have any feedback make sure to comment!

I will consider doing more posts like this but other topics such as “How to get game studio developers” or something. Stay tuned Peace!

9 Likes

That’s an interesting guide you have here but:
“You are not taking your time and you are trying to get your portfolio out there as soon as possible”
And
“You are not taking time on your portfolio”
Are the same reasons.
Other then that its great if not perfect, the only thing i’ve added is more detailed description about ToS

1 Like

Hey @gtnz007!

Thanks, for sending feedback I will look into making the ToS more informative and more detailed.

I have upgraded the ToS section is that better?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s way better
looking forward for your next guide lines or works!

1 Like