PSA: Upcoming Maintenance on Audio, Video, and Video Ad Uploads

could just be… literal maintenance. Replacing hardware, updating software, etc.

5 Likes

Yes, 21:00 PDT is indeed 04:00 GMT.

I would use 24-hour UTC instead. Very few Rōblox players actually live in places which observe GMT.

I don’t know any Icelandic or west African people here. There are more of us who would be on GMT in the winter, but are now an hour ahead. It would be 05:00 BST.

Not crucial since most people would be asleep on a Thursday morning, but still something worth clarifying.

1 Like

time for maintenance on the main website dont you think!?

1 Like

1 Like

CC @chesse20:

I posed these exact issues to Ali Miller when she presented Q&As at SEG3 this year.

A couple of people complimented my questions afterwards.

Ali wasn’t the person in charge of that business. Even if she was, Rōblox are cemented in their belief that this is the best situation to address ‘civility’ and ‘age-appropriateness’.

1 Like

Services such as Rōblox try to be up about 100.01% of the time. So they run tonnes of servers from around the world – and then perform maintenance on some of them at a time.

Look into CDNs (why content delivery networks are commonplace).

1 Like

speak in stupid terms

1 Like

Sure.

Rōblox wants to be up all the time.

So they make 21098765432109 servers around the world.

They can shut 305779209161 down a time to do maintenance.

And the rest are still up.

What if 917337627483 go through a stòópid outage?

Ah. There are still 20181427804626 running.

Hope it’s stòópid enough.

2 Likes

ohhh ok i get it

4 Likes

Roblox was required to do this. A lawsuit was filed against them and I’m pretty sure they settled by completely making public audio unavailable permanently.

Yes, but not necessarily. Unless Roblox does not explicitly curtail copyright infringements on its platform - it cannot be sued for user generated content, as one user pointed out.

They weren’t required to to this, its just that this saved them more time and money than going through the effort and upgrading their copyright detection, especially for audio.

If this was an actual law - every website like Youtube would be sued into oblivion from how much copyrighted material gets uploaded daily.

3 Likes

They did originally say it would be “temporarily paused” with no return timeframe. Then they edited the permissions page to add a greyed out toggle with a “check back later” message, and two years later it is still there. Until late last year they never admitted that they were concerned about copyright (but still promised they’d find a way to re-enable it)

The big copyright suit was settled in September 2021 and I have found zero evidence that the company was being targeted again for the same issue in early 2022.

3 Likes

We’ve started maintenance, which will last for about eight hours. We will keep you updated on this thread when we have finished.

2 Likes

Maintenance has finished. Thank you for your patience.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, we are excited to announce that public sounds effect uploads (of under 10 seconds) Are Now Available for Creators! Here’s the full update: Public Sound Effects Upload Are Now Available for Creators

5 Likes

Finally! A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!

Keep going!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.