PSX Style Horror Game Feedback (WIP)

I recently started creating a horror game with psx graphics, like puppet combo, but I still think that this is not very similar to the psx graphics, if anyone can help me how to make it more similar to the psx I would appreciate it

10 Likes

Hey this stuff looks pretty great! I love seeing people tackle the PSX graphics, it’s such a great aesthetic. As for why it doesn’t look truly PSX? There’s quite a few reasons.

There’s a lot of things that contribute to that old PlayStation look that’s due to the console’s many quirks. One of them includes no texture filtering. Compared to something like Nintendo 64, the PlayStation could not blur textures, causing them to be more pixelated. While you can’t directly change the filtering mode in Roblox, currently the easiest solution is to scale up the textures to make them look more crisp, as much as I dislike doing that.

Another thing due to how the PlayStation rendered it’s graphics, is the weird polygon jiggling, texture warping, and dithering. I’m not the best at explaining it, so instead here’s a video of someone who actually knows what they’re talking about.

As far as I’m aware of now, a lot of this stuff just isn’t possible on Roblox right now, so we can’t totally achieve that PSX feel, but at least with something like the texture filtering, there’s ways to work around it.

Wish you the best regarding with what you’re working on! I’m very interested on what the actual game is like!

3 Likes

thanks for the help, i really appreciate psx graphics and horror games, that’s why i started creating this kind of game on roblox, hopefully in the future this will be more accessible…

3 Likes

Of course! I wish Roblox made it much easier to at least have Nearest Neighbor filtering, I really think it would help the budding PSX scene on the platform!

4 Likes

Wow, this looks very good so far! I’ve seen some of Puppet Combo’s games, and these pictures look very similar to their style and lighting! Nice job on this!

2 Likes

thanks for the feedback i am giving my best in this game…

1 Like

It really looks like something out of a PSX game, which isn’t something I see in Roblox games everyday. Everything looks very pixelated (which is quite good!), and they all fit in to provide a map for a Player.

1 Like

Thanks for your support! I really appreciate that you liked it

2 Likes