Publish Open Scripts With Team Create

Issue: I publish updates to my game and they do not appear online because I leave the script open. However, I am tricked because when I run Play Solo the script is executed.

Solution: Publish scripts regardless of if they are open or not. I fail to see a use case where you would ever want to publish a game with mix’n’match scripts. This feature has only lead to cause issues for developers, as evident by many threads asking why “team create won’t publish?”

Anybody else who’s been having this issue please share your thoughts, I was hit by it again tonight and after seeing another thread made regarding this today, I figured this was a lot more of a nuisance than useful.

12 Likes

I have been slammed with this problem countless times over after working in a Team Create place for 2 months. Open scripts should definitely save both on manual publish and on autosave.

The deeper issue is how scripts replicate between team create members. If I’m editing a script and thus have it open, it will only replicate to the server and thus other clients once I close it. The easiest way to overcome the issue would be to replicate all open scripts to the server when “Publish to ROBLOX” is clicked.

I do however quite like the way it’s currently implemented. If I’m working on a script, I would like other developers to still have the ability to run/test the game with the last fully replicated (and most likely working) version of the script. Streaming script changes to the server makes that extremely unpractical.

Now, imagine ROBLOX studio allowed users to simultaneously work in the same script. That would require script streaming which will also replicate it to the server. Now the server will always use your in-progress-and-most-likely-broken script which is again, extremely unpractical.

So in short / TLDR; the current behaviour allows us to work on scripts and compile & release them when they are done instead of when the game needs to be tested. I’m quite happy with that behaviour.

3 Likes

Doesn’t help in instances where you’re editing scripts, studio crashes, and then bye bye whatever you were working on.

Also when you close your session with scripts open, Team Create won’t save those scripts. This has happened when there was other people in the session as well.

God this is such a pain, I’ve lost countless hours because I closed team create while still having a script open

Alternative suggestion from Wsly’s idea to keep current behavior: Have script changes always replicate to Studio immediately, but only replicate those changes to other clients when 1) the script is closed, 2) the game is published by the person who has that script open, or 3) the client has the script open. This will ensure scripts always work for testing and you never lose your work. Example:

I have two others working on scripts with me in Team Create. I’m working on ScriptA, personB is working on ScriptB, and personC is work on ScriptC. I have ScriptA and ScriptB open (even though I can’t edit ScriptB). When I go into play solo, I will have the latest version of ScriptA and ScriptB running, but ScriptC will still be using the old, latest-working version because personC’s changes haven’t replicated to me yet.

I leave Play Solo, PersonC publishes the place, and I go into Play Solo again: I’ll have the latest version for all three scripts in Play Solo.

After leaving Play Solo, the Team Create server crashes for whatever reason. When we rejoin the place, we’ll have the latest version of all three scripts even if they’re broken (i.e. one script has “prin” instead of “print()” because it crashed while the editor was typing). We may have to do a little repairing, but at least we’ll still have our work.