''Publish to Roblox as" always allows copying

When using the “Create new game…” option in the “Publish to Roblox as” dialog in Studio, the game is automatically published with “allow copying” on. No option or indication of this behavior is shown to the developer.

Copying may still be changed normally through the place configuration page on the website afterward.

This is a major problem for protection of developer IP. By default, an experience should not allow copying.

Judging by posts on the Developer Forum and Twitter, this has been happening since at least 11:06 AM UTC, March 25th, 2022.

75 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database, and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

23 Likes

To reinforce this - we are aware of the severity of the issue and are fixing it now.

37 Likes

Is there any update about this? I uploaded a game an hour ago & it was uncopylocked by default.

3 Likes

Are we going to have an incident report on this?
Or some sign that this sort of bug will not repeated?

14 Likes

My Restaurant just got 100% leaked because of this. You’ve got to be kidding me. How does something like this happen?

43 Likes

Seems like someone in the company either:

• broke the standard for code review after an update

• the standard doesn’t require code review.

Honestly, unacceptable for this to happen. Roblox, this can’t happen again. As a developer we need to make sure this is not going to happen again.

I’m really struggling to comprehend how this even happened, was there not any QA testing? The marker that says a game can be copied is huge, it should stand out to everyone.

31 Likes

Exactly this, I’ve created a baseplate yesterday as a testing place and shared it with my testing buddies. One DMs me the source is copy-able and my heart dropped, genuinely glad I only created a baseplate before putting in my 3 months of work. Seriously unacceptable, hope this or any slight similar behaviour won’t happen again.

8 Likes

roblox following the yearly tradition of open sourcing games randomly :joy:

37 Likes

Get ready for “Typical Colors 2 Modded” or “Jailbreak Modded” games…

4 Likes

These games aren’t affected. The bug only affects newly created places.

2 Likes

I thought it affected games when updates were published.

Not acceptable, seriously how can this happen, my game was uncopylocked because of this.

3 Likes

If investors catch wind, then we’ll probably see something. If not, I wouldn’t count on it

1 Like

“AND they have vulnerabilities when trying to publish new games such as allowing other players to download it when that’s not what the developer wants? I’m revoking my investment!”

1 Like

It seems to be when using studio’s “publish to roblox as…”, then creating a new place. Using “publish to roblox as…” to overwrite an existing place seems to be unaffected, although I recommend checking anyways to make sure.

Until a ROBLOX employee states that this bug is resolved, I will not be publishing any updates. My game currently has 500+ players, therefore, I do not wish to risk anything…like one of them stealing the game.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Thank you for reporting this critical bug! We have fixed it for any places created after this point and are working urgently to correct all existing places.

To fix it for yourself in the meantime, visit the Configure Place page, navigate to the Permissions tab, and make sure the “Allow Copying” checkbox is unchecked.

37 Likes

On a related note, maybe it’s time for developers to consider minifying code like @badcc used to do with Jailbreak. This could be done automatically as a publish step with the Open Cloud API.

My game was stolen when I published it to my group, I tried to disable open copy multiple times but couldn’t, and the person in question got my webhook token and could send messages through it. I can revoke the token, but is there any way I can remove the game from their inventory?

1 Like