Published to wrong place when using "Publish to Roblox"

In the last few months, I’ve been having a strange issue from time to time where Roblox Studio would publish a place that I was working on to a completely different place for no reason. This issue happens very rarely and randomly from my experience.

Example 1: one day it changed my most popular game into a baseplate when I was working on one in studio (when I was editing a freshly made place with just a baseplate, and then clicked “publish to roblox” to save it, it got somehow published into my main game instead). During that time, I had my main game open in studio as well, in a separate window, which might be related to this issue. It took me over an hour to realise that my game got overwritten, after receiving reports from my players.

Example 2: another time, I was editing my testing place (where I tested an upcoming update for my game), and after publishing to roblox, it got uploaded, again, to my main game, which resulted in an unfinished update being released early without my knowledge.

It started happening in April 2020 (I don’t remember the exact week). I’ve experienced this issue only several times since that time, which makes it rare. Today, another developer confirmed it and contacted me, and according to him, he also had 2 places in Roblox Studio when it happened.

Repro steps (not guaranteed to work because this issue happens randomly):

1. Open two different existing places in Roblox Studio.
  2. In one of them, click File > Publish to Roblox.
  3. If this bug happens, the 2nd place will be overwritten with the content from the 1st one.

My OS is Windows 10.

6 Likes

I’ve had this happen to a friend of mine aswell, can confirm.

THIS, this is why developers should always archive their work. I’ve completely forgotten about this bug, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Hi, I am the other developer OP mentioned. I had another issue when play testing one game, that the joining screen showed the name of the other game I had open in studio.

It should say “Testnado Simulator 2”, but instead shows the other game.

4 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed this internally and we’ll follow up here when we have an update for you.

3 Likes

Hi @CaptainMarcin, are you still running into this issue?

cc @tamtamchu

Thanks,
Sunder

4 Likes

It doesn’t happen to me anymore. I haven’t experienced it at all since the summer.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming, @CaptainMarcin!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.