Publishing to places has unclear UX

As a Roblox developer, I keep thinking that I cannot overwrite an existing place when calling File → Publish To Roblox As…
This is because the UI only initially shows you starting place of all your experiences by default.

It’s only when clicking that thumbnail that it actually opens up a list of all sub places.

The reason this simple thing took me so long to figure out, was that I had no idea clicking the experience would open up a list of subplaces, but rather, just publish to the starting place of that selected experience instead.

6 Likes

Maybe showing the number of subplaces would make it more obvious it’s acting like a folder instead of a file? For example:

Publish menu - Subplace indicator concept

(Have you like, never published to a game on your account before? I thought this was a rite of passage for new developers.)

3 Likes

I’ve never had to publish to places from a different place in the same universe until now. I suspected that because subplaces weren’t showing in gridview, that it was not possible to publish them without opening the subplace.