Puzzle ideas for a horror game?

Hello, all!

I am currently developing a horror game in which you will attempt to escape a map by doing puzzles while also trying to avoid a killer. I will not reveal too much about it. I am a bit stuck on ideas for some puzzles. Does anyone have some good ones?

2 Likes

One word riddle

2 Likes

If you want my advice as a cryptographer, if you want some fun ones, search up Alan Turing Cryptography Competiton, it’s nationwide cryptography competition in the UK which I regularly partake in

3 Likes

Different buttons you have to push that are around the maze to eventually unlock a door leading to one of the final puzzles.

Some parkour to a lever that does something.

One of those sliding puzzles where there is the one open space and everything has to slide in some way to finish the picture.

Those ice block puzzles like in LoZ.

1 Like

Search YouTube for MysteryCaseFiles. It’s a puzzle game (not on roblox) with many creative puzzles. You can simplify it since they’re really hard but some are mini-puzzles.

1 Like

What’s the “theme” of the horror game? Some details might help us think of ideas.

1 Like

Cursed doors, some lead to another door, others lead to the next room/floor.

1 Like

Long story short, you get grounded and your mom turns into a monster.

1 Like

Sounds really cool!

The first puzzle could be something like this;

There are 3 symbols on a lock which opens a door to escape the house. The player must do chores in order to reveal these symbols.

Players must put dirty clothes found along the map into a laundry machine. Once all, let’s say, 3 clothes, are put into the machine, it will spin for ~15 seconds. After the clothes are done, the player will open the machine to reveal the first symbol and the label “1” on a shirt in the machine.

Second, the player must head to the kitchen. In the kitchen, the player will find a cloth on the counter nearby a sink that contains dirty dishes. The player must wipe all of the dirty dishes. The last dish the player wipes will reveal another symbol, along with the label “2” on the dish after being cleaned.

Lastly, the player will go to some bedroom with a dirty carpet. Inside a closet in the bedroom, there will be a vacuum cleaner. The player must suck up all of the grossness in the carpet. Once the carpet is clean, a symbol and the label “3” will be visible.

Household Chores simulator game

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who replied! I will be sure to include some of these ideas.

1 Like