Quality game icon, that nobody will click on. How could I make this more apealing?

I am making a 90s style FPS based on an old John Payne Asia album titled Aqua. I thought the album cover would be a perfect for the thumbnail, and while it is very high quality art it doesn’t quite look like something your average roblox gamer would click on. Or even the people who like 90s style FPSs. Here is the album:

Great art, just not good for clicks.

The thing is, I kinda wanted to keep it because games in the 90s had hand painted covers that frankly looked better than the games:

(Funnily enough the artist of the top two did older Asia albums, but not the one my game is based on)

Anyway what do you think? Do I keep the album? Do I make a 3d render of the album? Or should I edit the image to look more friendly? I was thinking of maybe doing a kinda image trace album background and making a main character pop out in front… but IDK. If you could share any styles or thumbnails I should lean into, let me know.

1 Like

b u m p
ideas anyone? not to spoil anything but here is a mockup of the end of my game if that helps:

The icon is targeting a more niche audience so clicks are going to be relatively low compared to most icons; however, there are ways to improve yours. The colors on the current top one are too bland & not inviting enough. Brighter, more contrasting colors would increase clicks even if the format & substance of the icon stays the exact same. You also have to take into account the fact that icons/thumbnails are pretty small (depending on where they’re shown) on the website, and much smaller on mobile, so you have to somehow fit in enough visual information so that users see what your game is about. The icon you provided doesn’t really give users that information, there is no legible text & the planets behind the flying animal are too hidden and blended in with the background to suggest that it’s a space-oriented game, if anything it looks like it’s underwater. I’d also try to remove or minimize the black border going around the icon so that there’s more room for content to be shown.

1 Like

So i threw it in photoshop for 15 minutes and its a difficult subject to “youtubify” because its not very colorful to begin with, I will work on the background a little but since the subject is black there is no good way to make it stand out against space…

og album

saturation attempt

1 Like

You could try adding a Roblox character to it. To me, it looks so good that it’s relating to a game off the platform.

1 Like

I think the OG album cover looks fine (do you have permission to use it?)
The one that you initially posted

is more faded than the other one you posed. so yeah to this one

You could 3d render the art and add a roblox character to it, or you could try and mimic the style and add a 2d roblox character to it

1 Like