Quest System Idea

I was wondering how I could make a quest system. I already have an NPC dialogue system, but how do I give the quests to players? I want to create different types of quests, ranging from kill quests to ‘earn a certain amount of money’ and similar objectives.

1 Like

Uh, there’s really too much detail to get into here… so I’ll try to make this as short as possible.

Firstly, you should make a quest UI that the player can see. For starters, you could program an NPC to make the UI appear if a player interacts with them.

Secondly, you could either make it so that the quests the NPC gives you are random, or they only give you specific quests. (i.e the NPC only gives the player kill quests)

Thirdly, you’d make it so when a player kills an NPC, the UI keeps track of that. You could add a NumberValue to the player and update that value whenever the player kills an NPC. (For money-based quests, a NumberValue would still be appropriate for that. You could make the NumberValue update each time that they earn money. Keep in mind that you’ll need a RemoteEvent for both of these examples!)

Lastly, once the player has completed their quest, you could program the NPC to give the player their reward once they interact with the NPC again. Make sure that you edit your code so that the NPC can keep giving them quests (unless you want to limit how many quests the NPC gives them, of course)

I hope this helped! A lot goes into making the system that you’re talking about, so, I’m sorry if I didn’t provide enough details.

1 Like

Oh wow, thanks for the explanation. I originally thought about using a value as a reference point, but I was concerned it might cause some conflicts or bugs. However, thinking about it more, it seems doable. Thanks again.

2 Likes