Question About Collision Meshes

I have a question about the CollisionFidelity property:

We have a MeshPart whose collision mesh with the Default CollisionFidelity is more complex than the collision mesh with the PreciseConvexDecomposition CollisionFidelity (file sizes are 14KB and 7KB respectively). I was wondering if this means that PreciseConvexDecomposition is actually more efficient in this case, or does the property have runtime implications that would result in additional performance losses? In other words, does the CollisionFidelity property solely affect how the collision mesh is generated, or does it also affect how collisions are evaluated?

Collision mesh with Default CollisionFidelity:

Collision mesh with PreciseConvexDecomposition CollisionFidelity:

Obviously it doesn’t make much of a difference with just this model, but this would be good to know for optimizing collision meshes in the future.

1 Like

Roblox randomly calculates collisions, but they aren’t always as accurate as you might think they are, so I would go with the best option possible in this case, but I’d suggest you avoid PreciseConvexDecomposition in general since it normally takes more performance.

Also, a great tip from me if you have Mesh Parts that players will never interact with or are meant to be for decoration set Can Collide = false and make the CollisionFidelity = Box for extra performance.

And if you want to make your game even more performance-friendly, then I’d suggest using

Always use box/hull unless you actually need preciseconvexdecomposition
Default is laggy