Question about Featured Games and Free Sounds

One of the requirements to have your game featured is “Explicit, licensed permission to use all sound effects that appear in game”.

Do sounds that are publicly free on Roblox (like click sounds) still require a license? I have some sounds that aren’t publicly free that I have written approval for by their uploader, but do I need to go through this process for free sounds on Roblox?

3 Likes

The big issue in this is whether the sound is actually created by and/or legally owned by the uploader. A lot of users strip audio from games and such without permission from the source, so even if you got permission of the uploader to use their asset, you could still be using it without a license from the proper owner.

The following also applies to Featured Games
Here is another relevant post I've made

(Members-only link)

Not mentioned in these posts is if sounds that are free in the Sounds category are free for you to use.

This entirely depends on the license behind the sound. Just because someone uploaded it doesn’t mean that the copyright owner gave you – or even the uploader – rights to use the sound. You will have to research who made the sound and what copyright license is applied to the sound to figure out if you have rights to the sound.

Often, users upload sounds that they do not have the rights to, so you should not assume that you have rights to sounds in the Sounds category.

I don’t have a source at the moment, but I remember reading that It’s fine to have a music box or radio system that players can buy that plays any sound.

So as I assumed where only if the person who originally uploaded it had permission?

I posted a bit earlier than I wanted to. I’ve amended my post to include more details.

Whether or not the person who uploaded it had permission does not have much bearing on whether or not you have permission.

For example, you are allowed to get specific permission for you to use a sound, upload it to Roblox, and mark the “make free” button. Others are not allowed to use the sound in this case, despite it being “free” for them. Only you got permission since you made a private agreement for license to use the sound.

Whether or not you can use the sound depends on the public copyright license applied to the sound and any private license agreements you make with the copyright holder. You should research any sounds you want to use to find where they originate so that you can check their public copyright license. If the public copyright license prohibits you from using the sound then you can contact the copyright holder and attempt to make an agreement for a private copyright license between just you and them.

1 Like

Wait so we can’t use music from other games and get featured?

I’ve been using Nintendo music since I started 3 years ago…

No, of course you can’t. :yum: