Question about Game Version and Stages

Question 1: How do game versions work? I often see in the game description of game’s “version 0.8.5” How do they go about doing this?

Question 2: I often here alpha and beta but how do you determine what stage of game development you’re in and are there more development stages? If so tell me.

4 Likes

The thing is, there is no standard, there is no rule to determine the version or the stage of game development. It’s just how the creator feels, how far he has made it, taking count future updates.

This does explain versioning really well. Version is composed of three numbers, the major build number, the minor build problem, and the revesion. In the example you gave, 0.8.5, 0 is the major, 8 is the minor, and 5 is the revesion.

Major number means a huge milestone in the game, something that totally made the game different, for example transition from alpha to beta, or beta to full release. Alpha means something still in its first stages, a little collection of features and it’s very short. Beta is when the game starts to get more stuff added, until there are enough things to do that it’s conisdered a full game.

Minor number means a minor milestone, an important update that doesn’t change things a lot, but it adds more to the game. Like minecraft updates, or for a roblox game, for example adding new features (like pets from simulators).

Revesion, is for bug fixing, you had some bugs in the game, you fixed them, or you had a huge change in some of the scripts, but that isn’t worth making an update for because it is to no interest for players.

12 Likes

Do you have to manually change these numbers whenever you update the game or is there some other way?