Question about Particle Systems

Well, I’m terribly sorry everybody.

My Flipbook changes inadvertedly were the cause of this rather embarrasing and serious bug: Particles, beams, and trails all disappearing, not disappearing when supposed to, and causing performance issues - #40 by JaapSuter

Fixing this first is more important than releasing Flipbooks, but it has the unfortunate consequence that I won’t be able to enable Flipbooks until the new year.

I’m terribly sorry everybody. I know people are as excited about this feature as I am, but stability of the existing product is more important (especially around the holidays), and that means Flipbooks has to wait until after Christmas before you’ll be abe to use it.

My fault. I’ll keep everybody posted.

28 Likes

All good. I love what you’re doing. I need this. We all need this. You’re literally carrying Christmas on your back. If you need a further pep talk, memes for motivation or a voucher for McNuggets, I got you.

Best wishes for the holidays.

4 Likes

God im so excited for this! i’ve set aside all the paarticles that are gonnaa need this for when the update rolls out xD

2 Likes

This is all I need after years

1 Like

Hey! Is there any rough date in mind as to when flipbooks will go live, or into public beta?

1 Like

Is the flipbook finally this??

Dude, I’ve had this in my head for like 2 years now. :joy:

1 Like

Excited for this, any news on when it might be enabled?

1 Like

Yep, flipbooks are spritesheet particles, sadly when they tried implementing them it caused an issue with beams visibility, but that was months ago, and hopefully it is released soon.

1 Like

Will they add flipbooks for meshes as well? Will definitely be helpful.

1 Like

i wish this feature was a thing
are we allowed to use MAT file for this??

1 Like

Planning to flip the flag when 510 hits (later this week insofar I know).

6 Likes

How about the maximum decal size problem, wouldn’t that affect spritesheet’s quality?

1 Like

It would, but there’s nothing we can do about it since the decal size needs to stay consistent. Your only options would probably just be choosing to use smaller frame count sheets, like 2x2s or 4x4s

Good morning / Good evening @JaapSuter,

Having been sanctioned in an understandable way by a member of Staff concerning Out of category subjects, I come friendly to propose this section to you in order to distribute the equality between Members and Members of Staff concerning the Rules of the Forum.

Here is the Recommended section for this topic:

And here’s a more appropriate title :

Sharing My Particle Emitters

Hoping to have helped you.

2 Likes

Roblox is slowly becoming unity. Oh No

Jokes aside, that is REALLY cool and brings so much possibilities!

Also, any context on how this will work? I’m kinda curious, will it be like the StudsPerTile property for textures but pixels?

Makes sense, thank you for letting me know.

1 Like

Community Resources is not as appropriate, as nothing is being released in this case; only ‘teased’. #help-and-feedback:creations-feedback would be most relevant.

4 Likes

Hey, any update on this? Apparently the 510 update was skipped.

Max ¯_(ツ)_/¯ on Twitter: “There were no updates last week btw. Version 510 has been skipped as a result.” / Twitter

2 Likes

It just went live… Particle Flipbook Demo - Roblox

There’ll be an official announcement after the weekend; with more details, a tutorial, and most importantly; some background information on the 2x2, 4x4, 8x8 limitations, and the 1024x1024 texture-size constraint (which I’m sure many creators will be slightly disappointed by).

But I figure I’d share this news here today, since I really appreciate all the patience you’ve had so far, and I still feel bad for screwing up over Christmas and letting the release date slip because of a silly bug.

My hope is that, despite the limitations of flipbooks in their current form, most creators will agree that this still gets us 80% of the flipbook bang-for-buck, and that we’ll see some cool new use-cases for particle emitters.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, I’ll monitor this thread as well. But like I said, the official announcement and documentation is coming next week.

Cheers,

Jaap Suter

13 Likes

Here’s an .rbxl if anybody wants to play with this in Studio.

particle-flipbook-demo.rbxl (37.5 KB)

2 Likes