Support Spritesheets FX to improve Gameplay Experience

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to make cool looking VFXs like these:

You wonder why? It’s because Roblox does not have any technology that supports 2D and 3D animation effects that uses sprite sheets. While you’re able to process these VFXs by hacking your way through, it isn’t the optimal way or the best outcome it would be especially if you’re thinking what I’m thinking.

I have been able to recreate the slash VFXs above but it took me 30 uploads of a decal to make a similar effect.

But then how do I know if this method I use is optimal? Some developers told me that each of the mesh which accumulates around 30 contains 5 MB of RAM. Just imagine how many players playing at the same time slashing at the same time. Just with 30 players (30 x 5 x 30) slashing around at the same time would cost at like 4,500 MB each second. Now I am not sure as I haven’t confirmed if this is true as I do not know the methods of how they calculated it.

As a game developer that makes games that revolves around a lot of skills, I am having quite a hard time trying to make good visual effects without these technologies around and whenever I want to use it by doing the method I said above, I am not sure if it’s optimal. It wouldn’t help just me, but the whole Roblox platform of adding this kind of method.

As for why this has to be added, just think about the limitless potential of how the VFX in Roblox would improve if this gets added because of an animated effect itself no matter how I look at it and I do not know why it matters so much, but it becomes more WOAH~ than a simply an image that just moves its location.

I am not sure if this is already a work in progress but at least it’s better to address this rather than nothing as it has really been frustrating.

Also, there’s a problem with 1024x1024 px maximum for decals. Maybe that could hinder the spritesheets thingy.

5 Likes