Question on in game optimization

Let’s say someone has a potato pc and they want to have the game optimized so they can play. Could I just take a bunch of stuff in the workspace and throw it in replicated storage when they click on some potato pc mode setting in the game? Would that work? I don’t have a potato pc so I’m not sure how to go about this.

No.

Putting stuffs from workspace to ReplicatedStorage won’t do anything. Both stuffs replicate things to the clients. The best thing to do is don’t put these server-sided stuffs on services that will replicate to the client.

You could do as in funky friday, where meanwhile there is a match, the background changes, hiding the current stuff. There is even a option that makes everything a void while playing.

This would be like loading zones, the player would load something only if its near it.

1 Like

This is wrong, it does replicate to the client, but it helps. Anything in ReplicatedStorage isn’t rendered, which is mainly how lag would be caused on a low end PC.

what about if the client deletes whatever needs to be optimized when they enable potato pc mode and when they disable it, the server clones everything on the workspace for a second so that the client can re-clone them?

Deleting it would lose it forever, unless you had a copy on the client, which would still be replicated anyway, so its not a good fix.

Replicating isn’t the right term for this, since once its loaded its on your PC, not on the server. You don’t need to worry about it, taking stuff from Workspace and putting it into ReplicatedStorage helps.

1 Like

Both Workspace and ReplicatedStorage are replicated to the client.

The only difference is the Roblox Engine won’t render BaseParts in ReplicatedStorage.

So if a potato is struggling to render lots of BaseParts, you can put them in ReplicatedStorage or just delete them on the client. (but then they won’t be visible)

You could also use StreamingEnabled to stream Terrain and BaseParts into the world based on the players position. This is recommended/necessary for a large map.

1 Like