Question on Script Performance: Activity vs. Rate

Hi, I’ve noticed that my some of my scripts have a linearly increasing rate but constant activity (seen under script performance). I’ve tried to look for more specific information on what rate and activity entails, but all I could really find was that activity is the percent of CPU power that the script (and its duplicates) are using, and rate is how often the script is executed over the total time.
So the conclusion I made was that my scripts are executed more and more as time goes on, while the total CPU usage of the scripts remain constant.
What exactly does this mean in terms of performance? I would believe that increasing rate is definitely not good, but activity still remains fairly low, and show no growth. In addition, I did not notice increase in memory either, so I’m fairly puzzled about the exact implication of increased rate but constant activity for scripts. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Activity is what affects performance necessarily, while rate does not. When optimizing, look primarily for activity, as you can have scripts that run very frequently (high rate) but don’t do very intensive tasks, thus having low activity and low performance impact.

For example, the following code will exhibit a high rate (30/s), but low activity:

while true do 
	wait()
	print("0")
end
1 Like

My concern is that the rate increases linearly, and while activity is certainly low, I can’t imagine rates on the order of ~100000/s being any good. What puzzles me is that, yes, some loop would definitely increase rate, but a continuous increase in rate implies that the script creates more loops (which, I would expect, would still increase activity). But here, the activity does not increase, but rate continues to increase.
For a concrete example of the issue, here is a standalone LocalScript that demonstrates a script that shows constant activity but linearly increasing rate (a freemodel first person camera manipulation script):

repeat wait() until game:GetService("Players").LocalPlayer.Character ~= nil
local runService = game:GetService("RunService")
local input = game:GetService("UserInputService")
local players = game:GetService("Players")

CanToggleMouse = {allowed = true; activationkey = Enum.KeyCode.F;}
CanViewBody = false 	
Sensitivity = 0.6		
Smoothness = 0.05		
FieldOfView = 90		

local cam = game.Workspace.CurrentCamera
local player = players.LocalPlayer
local m = player:GetMouse()
m.Icon = "http://www.roblox.com/asset/?id=569021388" -- replaces mouse icon
local character = player.Character or player.CharacterAdded:wait()
local humanoidpart = character.HumanoidRootPart

local head = character:WaitForChild("Head")
local CamPos,TargetCamPos = cam.CoordinateFrame.p,cam.CoordinateFrame.p 
local AngleX,TargetAngleX = 0,0
local AngleY,TargetAngleY = 0,0

local running = true
local freemouse = false

function updatechar()

for _, v in pairs(character:GetChildren())do
		if CanViewBody then
			if v.Name == 'Head' then
				v.LocalTransparencyModifier = 1
				v.CanCollide = false
			end
		else
			if v:IsA'Part' or v:IsA'UnionOperation' or v:IsA'MeshPart' then
				v.LocalTransparencyModifier = 1
				v.CanCollide = false
			end
		end
		if v:IsA'Accessory' then
			v:FindFirstChild('Handle').LocalTransparencyModifier = 1
			v:FindFirstChild('Handle').CanCollide = false
		end
		if v:IsA'Hat' then
			v:FindFirstChild('Handle').LocalTransparencyModifier = 1
			v:FindFirstChild('Handle').CanCollide = false
		end

end

end

input.InputChanged:connect(function(inputObject)

if inputObject.UserInputType == Enum.UserInputType.MouseMovement then
		local delta = Vector2.new(inputObject.Delta.x/Sensitivity,inputObject.Delta.y/Sensitivity) * Smoothness

local X = TargetAngleX - delta.y 
		TargetAngleX = (X >= 80 and 80) or (X <= -80 and -80) or X 
		TargetAngleY = (TargetAngleY - delta.x) %360 
	end	

end)

input.InputBegan:connect(function(inputObject)

if inputObject.UserInputType == Enum.UserInputType.Keyboard then
		if inputObject.KeyCode == CanToggleMouse.activationkey then
			if CanToggleMouse.allowed and freemouse == false then
				freemouse = true
			else
				freemouse = false
			end
		end
	end

end)

runService.RenderStepped:connect(function()

if running then
		updatechar()

CamPos = CamPos + (TargetCamPos - CamPos) *0.28 
		AngleX = AngleX + (TargetAngleX - AngleX) *0.35 
		local dist = TargetAngleY - AngleY 
		dist = math.abs(dist) > 180 and dist - (dist / math.abs(dist)) * 360 or dist 
		AngleY = (AngleY + dist *0.35) %360
		cam.CameraType = Enum.CameraType.Scriptable

cam.CoordinateFrame = CFrame.new(head.Position) 
		* CFrame.Angles(0,math.rad(AngleY),0) 
		* CFrame.Angles(math.rad(AngleX),0,0)
		* CFrame.new(0,0.5,0) -- offset

humanoidpart.CFrame=CFrame.new(humanoidpart.Position)*CFrame.Angles(0,math.rad(AngleY),0)
		else game:GetService("UserInputService").MouseBehavior = Enum.MouseBehavior.Default
	end

if (cam.Focus.p-cam.CoordinateFrame.p).magnitude < 1 then
		running = false
	else
		running = true
		if freemouse == true then
			game:GetService("UserInputService").MouseBehavior = Enum.MouseBehavior.Default
		else
			game:GetService("UserInputService").MouseBehavior = Enum.MouseBehavior.LockCenter
		end
	end

if not CanToggleMouse.allowed then
		freemouse = false
	end

cam.FieldOfView = FieldOfView

end)

A cursory examination of this code shows that, there are no loops or function calls that linearly increase the number of loop/function calls (i.e. loops don’t spawn more loops, which spawn more loops, so on and so forth). I’m more puzzled now if the rate statistic in Script Performance is not behaving as desired, or if there are some internal engine/studio source code that is affecting the perceived discrepancies between activity and rate.

I’m unable to replicate the behavior you described with the example you provided. The rate stays at 30/s as expected.

It seems like this is a bug. I develop on a Mac, so after your reply I ran the sample code on a Windows machine, and realized the rate shows 30/s, as opposed to a linearly increasing amount seen from my Mac. Thanks for attempting to replicate the behavior.

2 Likes

Resolution: It seems that Studio on Mac shows incorrect rate for scripts on Script Performance. I will submit a bug report on this later. But it seems increasing rate but constant activity is an abnormal behavior.

6 Likes

This is also happening for me, but on PC

Activity stays normal but Rate/s is extremely high.

7 Likes