Question regarding PolicyAPI

Many of us already heard the news Adopt Me got banned in some countries, not only due to the existence of Loot Boxes but also of Trading items obtained there.

While my game won’t have trading, I was planning on having a gacha system. If I understood correctly, if the player can purchase the in game currency for robux (and then opening these Loot boxes), then there is a problem. This being said, if I did not allow them to buy it, would it be fine to have random. Items?

Don’t take my word but I think its fine as long as the currency can purchase other stuff and can be obtained as a free to play user. But I would look at other posts and replies and wrap it in policy api anyways.

Edit: I think you’d still need to actually wrap it no matter what since I see adopt me etc getting banned.

The policy extends to in-experience currency as well. If a country has legislation against lootboxes (and by extension PolicyService enables ArePaidRandomItemsRestricted) that user cannot interact with your paid random item generators at all.

1 Like

Does “paid random items” include stuff thats not purchasable without Robux? In the example of the questionaire it seemingly makes that point across…

It does. The question here can be slightly confusing since they used a fountain coin toss as an example but you can think of the virtual coin as the key and the fountain as the lootbox.

1 Like

Of course, but it is important to note that it is a virtual coin “in exchange for Robux”. The page in PolicyAPIs confirms what you say, though… It is quite questionable they included that piece of text. Nevertheless, thanks for the aid.

Actually, hold up… so if my game did not have a currency and the player got a random item every time they played a round it would be ok? Even though said currency would be only obtained that same way?

Correct, yes. If you decide to instead reward the player for completing the round with a random item then you’re in the green. So long as it’s not possible to put any kind of currency towards obtaining those random items then your case is clear.

If you wanted to also reward players with currency for completing the rounds you can do that as well but just make sure that the currency can’t be used in any capacity to obtain a random item.

2 Likes

What. The. Hell. Man, legislation sure is dumb… Both ways force the players to play the game and the reward is basically equivalent. They can’t even pay to get in either and one is illegal. Sheesh… Once more, I appreciated your aid! :heart: