Questions on a System

I’ve been thinking of creating a small project (which may become a big project) where I make a game similar to Blockate. It’s just, I have no idea where to start, how would I go about this?

The main systems I would be tackling are

The Systems I CAN do:

• Currency
  • Placement System

The Systems I CANNOT do:

• World Selection
  • World Creation

I may have a lot of questions on World Selection/Creation like, how would I track all running worlds, how can I track the world’s data, and how can I track all the players inside the world, etc.

If you are attempting to help me (which would be appreciated), please show me code examples or give me explanations on how I can do it.

4 Likes

“World Selection” would just be teleporting to a place with some data and loading it from a datastore

What does World Creation entail?

4 Likes

World Creation is like, creating the world to exist in your datastore of Worlds. But like, I still don’t know how I would save World Data, and send it across servers.

2 Likes

Is the world persistent across all servers?

3 Likes

What do you mean by that? Do you mean like, the data is always the same for each server?

2 Likes

Like is it the same world on all servers?
What is the max player count that you anticipate?

3 Likes

Well, if you’ve played Blockate, there is a command to set the MaxPlayers. But since I haven’t gotten to that point yet, I’ll say 35 for each world. And, for the ‘same world on all servers,’ each hub server (or server that has the world selection thing) will update each time a world gets updated. So it keeps the world data set and accurate (amount of blocks, total players/max players, categories/private or not, and the world icon).

2 Likes

Okay so there is this older Roblox thing used to “create places” that have this thing called the PlaceSave API
That + having all the important code in a ModuleScript and the configuration as a configuration instance with attributes could work

The saving/persistence is found here:

2 Likes

But, would I make a UI that shows all the worlds that are running?

2 Likes

Yeah, use datastores + a UUID generated when the world is to see the ones online

3 Likes

Do you mind giving me a small script example for the UUID thing?

Edit: And/or the DataStoring thing.

2 Likes

You can just use DSS and MessagingService for messaging the hub world
You can generate UUIDs with HTTPService

2 Likes

But, how would I get all the worlds that are running and put them in a GUI?

Edit: I’ve looked through Dev Forum about this similar issue, and I’m going to try making a small system of my own.

1 Like

After a lot of messing around, and scrolling through dev forum posts with similar issues like this, I’ve finally gotten the basic system working! Thank you for trying to help me, your help DID help me a little bit. BUT, it would’ve been better if you shared other posts with the same issue to attempt to give me examples.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.