Questions on making a fps shooter map

Hello! I am currently making a fps shooter based off Valorant called Decimate. I have questions on making a fps shooter map.

1. How big do you think a map should be?(In studs)
2. How compact should the maps be?
3. How high would it have to be to damage the player from fall damage?(in studs)

That is all the questions hope you answer all of them! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 Like
  1. The map should be large enough for some sort of repetition when players are moving around. You don’t want to make an overly large map that requires users to seek out other users. On the other hand, you don’t want it be too repetitive, e.g discovering new areas as you play. I can’t say exactly how much in studs, but you should experiment with different sizes and see what would fit best. Imagine joining a map, and in few first minutes you can’t find another player because they’re on the other side of map. I don’t know about anyone else, but this definitely discourages the user to keep playing and are more likely to quite.
  2. In terms of compact, an FPS map should be compact to a certain level. You want to include nice and wide areas, and change respectively to fit other areas such as passageways, etc, Don’t make it extremely compact as the players have no area to move around, unless you’re going for that.
  3. In terms of fall damage, anything a few studs above the roof of a building or an average house should create fall damage.

Here is something that may be helpful https://devforum.roblox.com/t/ruskis-tutorial-1-how-to-design-your-maps-layout/277853

3 Likes