Questions On Vector3 Magnitude and Unit

So I have been trying to figure out what the different properties on Vector3 are. I have some questions on Magnitude and Unit as I am stuck.

Magnitude
A lot of people say that is the length of a Vector3. But how do you define length? Is it the length of the x value, y value, z value or all of them combined somehow? I am very confused.

Unit
What is Vector3.Unit? I have had a look at this post’s solution: Need help with Vector3.Unit?
but I still just do not get it.

Thank you so much if you can answer them I have been stumped on these questions forever…

1 Like

You’ll better understand vectors once you’ve reached that point in school as they are a mathematics and physics concept. You start with vectors in one dimension, moving into two dimensional and then getting into three-dimensional: Vector3 is that last one, a vector that is observed in three dimensions.

For me, although I didn’t do that well in those courses so my knowledge is spotty and incomplete, I learned about vectors primarily from Physics and will delve further into it in an upcoming course for my extra semester, Calculus and Vectors. The same principles are applicable for Vector3.

Wikipedia article if you want to shortcut through with some quick references:

And of course, documentation for use on Roblox:

To make it short and sweet: it’s essentially like a point somewhere that has a direction. Conventionally this will be locked to world space in Roblox so it’ll always be constructed with a specific axis in mind unless you use some of the other constructors, such as FromAxis or FromNormalId.

The unit of a vector is a normalised copy of the vector. Normalised means that the vector is still effectively the same (same origin and direction), except its length (magnitude) is one unit. If you don’t need the unit then this won’t be all that relevant to you.

4 Likes

Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:! My knowledge on Vector spaces ect. is very scarce. Will definitely look into this.

1 Like

Normalized vectors or unit vectors usually represent a direction in space with a length of one. It is commonly used with the dot product. There should be tutorials based on all of this if you need more help on YouTube as I found them helpful.

1 Like

As colbert said, it’s best to delve into the API resources to learn more. To answer your questions though:

Magnitude isn’t related to one point on Vector3, it is related to 2. It is essentially the distance between 2 points on Vector3.

A unit is what makes up this Magnitude, the start and finishing point. It is an infinitely small dot in your game at any given coordinate.