Quick Forest Showcase (WIP)

It looks kinda cool, I like the atmosphere and lighting design as well. At the moment, I have 2 things to say:

1. Make the water a darker colour, more transparent and more reflective. All water should have 1 reflectivity.
  2. Use SurfaceAppearance on the tree trunks to prevent them looking like 2D wallpaper.
2 Likes

Hi! Thank you so much for the feedback, for he water, it has been se to a darker color, its transparency set to one also the reflectancy (thus the lighter color). And as for the tree trunks, they do have surface appearance present. Thank you for pointing these out. I reckon why the water and trunks look flat is because the forest was set to be so dense letting no light in. Most of those are shadows. I’ll look for a way for sunlight to be able to get to the ground without it making the players’ eyes hurt. Thank you! :slight_smile:

I agree! I’ll definitely look for some in the toolbox later. Thanks for the suggestion!

Woah, such a beautiful game! I especially love the haziness/atmosphere!

2 Likes

When making showcases, please make everything yourself, use detail and no toolbox.

2 Likes

Umm… Anyone can use toolbox anywhere they want.
Also, to prove myself right, here is the about section of Cool Creations and Help And Feedack.
Cool Creations: About the Cool Creations category - Help and Feedback / Cool Creations - DevForum | Roblox
Help and Feedback: About the Help and Feedback category - Help and Feedback - DevForum | Roblox
It says nowhere that you can’t use the toolbox/ that you’re not allowed to use it. It’s completely OK with Roblox.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant that about the skybox. I am a modeler myself and have no use using the models from the toolbox but I am (like most) struggling graphics wise. This is a showcase of my modeling and lighting skills and in no way I’m going to try and make a profit out of it. Skyboxes aren’t that easy to make yourself I found tutorials on Youtube that taught how to make skyboxes of your own but alas, I lack equipment. I am pretty sure using skyboxes from the toolbox isn’t that big of a deal though.

I agree with this too. It is completely alright to use free models from the tool box because they are for free especially if you’re a beginner or someone who is not experienced with modeling or your trying to showcase something that isn’t about the models. As long as you don’t claim it as yours.

1 Like

Thank you! I greatly appreciate it!

The water doesn’t seem right in the third/fourth image

1 Like

The Toolbox is literally made for people to use. If its on the toolbox, you’re allowed to use it, no matter what.

1 Like

Yeah I think it’s the fog reflecting instead of the sky

1 Like

But the whole point of a showcase is to showcase your talent, it really defeats the purpose if you use things from the toolbox.

1 Like

It should really depend on what the person is showcasing or what the purpose is. For example, I mentioned I’ll be using a skybox from the toolbox, that, for me is completely fine, since no one would be paying attention to the skybox. The main focus of my showcase are my models and the lighting. The skybox is only there to help the showcase pop out more. If I were to take a model and add it to my showcase and still have the context as “showcasing my modeling skills” then that would defeat the purpose. But at the end of the day, I never took anything from the toolbox and my skybox stays the same. :rofl:

Also, here’s an image of the water with light sources. It’s transparency is set to 1 and so is the reflectancy.

1 Like

So the water looking weird was in fact the cause of the atmosphere and stuff.

It maybe does defeat the purpose, but what I’m saying is that it is allowed to use. Not many people are as advanced in building and they can’t make everything themselves yet, and they just want an opinion.

3 Likes

Extremely realistic looking, I’d say you have done a great job.

2 Likes

OP says that all the assets were made by him. If he’s going to use assets from the toolbox he needs to say that because people are going to assume that he made everything.

1 Like

Using a skybox from the toolbox is not a big deal. Many front page games have used it and most developers I meet have used them. It’s not like its a model he is using everywhere, its just a skybox.

2 Likes