QuickHide - Quickly hide selected objects

Hello!

I made a small plugin that allows to quickly hide everything that is selected and quickly unhide everything that was hidden. This should make it easier to work with complex models and whatnot.

I recommend you to bind these buttons to shortcuts on your keyboard to make it easier.

This plugin was inspired by the QuickHide functionality in the Hammer Editor. I made this plugin as I work with both engines and that was one of the features I missed. I’m posting this in hopes that it will help someone.

I’m open for criticism, but keep in mind that I only recently came back to developing on Roblox so do not expect too much from me.

Also keep in mind that I have not tested this plugin thoroughly. Even though I put safety measures still please make sure to take backups. I’m not responsible for any damage done!

https://www.roblox.com/library/7227836979/QuickHide-Quickly-hide-selected-objects

Setting up shortcuts (optional)

1. Install the plugin and in Studio go to File → Advanced → Customize Shortcuts…
  2. Search for “hide” and you should find Hide Selection and UnHide
  3. Bind any keys you want to them. Personally I use ‘H’ for Hide and ‘U’ for UnHide
    shortcuts
  4. Now try selection something in the viewport and use your bound keys.

Source (MIT Licensed)

5 Likes

Could we have more information on screenshots on what it exactly does.

3 Likes

I added a video to the original post now.

I don’t really understand or see a point of this plugin. It just moves all selected children to ServerStorage and back. All you have to do is group the object (Control + G) and move the object there on your own. Then when you want to move it back just ungroup the model and move it to Workspace.

1 Like

sooo just a fancy way of pressing del and ctrl + z?
:neutral_face:

1 Like

I have a feeling this would be useful for building models that require an inside and an outside, like the interior of a building, a sewer underground, the bullets of a gun magazine, etc.

Grouping and moving instances would be simple, but putting them back in their original place may be more cumbersome. Some people have very deep model hierarchies when they build, so you would have to remember where you put all the models you manually hid. I guess the plugin just provides a faster and easier way to do the same thing.

@RealExoctic, this wouldn’t be as simple as delete/undo because you would be:

1. hiding the instances
  2. making modifications
  3. unhiding them

Undoing would remove your modifications from step 2 too.

My argument would be it’s similar to cutting and pasting, but this plugin lets you “cut” multiple things incrementally and “paste” them back all at once, which is different behavior.

A quick suggestion to @OP: can you make a step-by-step guide in the topic on how to set this up quickly and easily?

1 Like

looking at @ItsPlasmaRBLX’s reply they put it inside ServerStorage, so they aren’t deleting it

Not sure if this is intentional, but trying to select things through explorer and hiding them, doesn’t work, at least not for keybind, haven’t tried with the menu.

Edit: It broke as well. I hid something, then renamed the folder. And then unhid and it didn’t bring it back. And when I tried to hide something, it didn’t go into the new folder it made.

2 Likes

+1 for being open source and on Github. Seems like a pretty useful plugin for builders. Almost every game engine has this feature so it’s kinda weird why Roblox never did.

1 Like

I was not able to replicate that. Hiding from explorer works for me normally. I also tried hiding contents of a folder and then moving it and even renaming it. It still put back everything into the folder.
If you can replicate it again then please tell me the steps.

Also I noticed that the first time you use the plugin it will ask for script access when you’re hiding a script. This actually broke it for me, because it stopped executing in the middle. I have no idea how to fix that one though.

Thank you! That’s my first plugin I ever made without knowing much about popular libraries and whatnot. I’m happy someone likes it.

Now I might be going a little bit off topic now but coming from Source Engine I have noticed that Roblox is missing some basic features that exist in other engines such as rotating textures, multiple materials per mesh, custom collision meshes, decal projection. Don’t get me wrong the engine is amazing but it could use some more features.

1 Like

You are an absolute genius this is gonna make workflow so much better :drooling_face: