QVGK's TrelloAPI

QVGK’s TrelloAPI

Documentation | GitHub | Trello Board

What is QVGK’s TrelloAPI?

QVGK’s TrelloAPI is an API wrapper for Trello’s REST API, based off of Aiden_12114’s Trello API (2020). This module simplifies the process of interacting with Trello’s API, by turning messy HTTP Requests into easy-to-use functions.

What is Trello?

Trello is a web application used for teams to track progress or issues with their own applications. For example, I use it to track what my team or I are going to add to my Roblox games, and see what my team has already added.

Some Roblox developers use Trello with their game to track data, or log data that failed to save. Even some application centers on Roblox use Trello to store responses.
Now, Trello is not an alternative for a database. You could use it as one, but it isn’t designed to be one.

Getting Started

Enable HTTP Requests

Now, I’ve tried to make the process of using this module as easy as possible, especially for beginners developers. I apologize if you think this is difficult.

Before we continue, we need to get our Trello API Info. First, we’ll get our Trello Personal Key. You can get it by clicking here. Scroll down a bit and you should see it. An example is shown below.

Your token should also be right under the Personal Key section. Click on the red text shown below and you’ll be redirected to get your Trello key.

Using the Module

Now that you’ve got both the information you need, we can start using the module. Below, I’ve shown an example on how we can use the TrelloAPI.

local TrelloModule = require(Path.To.Module) -- requiring the module

local TrelloKey = 'ExampleKey' -- our Trello key variable
local TrelloToken = 'ExampleToken' -- our Trello token variable
local BoardID = 'ExampleBoardID' -- our Trello BoardID

local Trello = TrelloModule.new(TrelloKey, TrelloToken) -- us creating a new Trello object
local TrelloLists = Trello.Lists -- ListsAPI
local TrelloCards = Trello.Cards -- CardsAPI
local TrelloBoards = Trello.Boards -- BoardsAPI

local MyBoard = TrelloBoards:GetBoardByID(BoardID) -- getting the board's info
local MyList = TrelloLists:GetListID(BoardID, 'ExampleList') -- getting an existing list
local NewCard = TrelloCards:CreateCard('Test Card', MyList) -- creating a new card

print(MyBoard.name)

Now, I’m not going to go through everything here. You can visit the documentation for a thorough guide on how to use everything in this module.

Support & Contributions

You can request support or contribute to this project by commenting on this thread, or going to the GitHub repository page.

Change Logs

Version 1.0.0 (LATEST):

• Rewrite & Optimize Code
  • Enable Debugging Option (Logs All Functions)
  • Rewrite Documentation

Version 0.14:

• Change to Rojo
  • Rewrited DevForum Post

Version 0.13:

• BoardsAPI Introduced
  • :GetBoard() Function Introduced
  • GitHub Repository Created
4 Likes

I don’t use Trello much but I can find this useful for people nowadays, great job making this.

1 Like

Version 0.13 Update Log
This update introduces the new BoardsAPI to the module. Currently, the BoardsAPI has only one function, but I’m continuing to expand the available functions.

You can now get a Board’s information with the new :GetBoard() function. This will return a JSON object about the board. This includes name, alternate ID, description and more.

You can see all information about the BoardsAPI by clicking here.

I can definitely see this being useful for others (and possibly me!). Thanks for making this.

Also, it would be nice if we could get a GitHub repo for this :smile:.

1 Like

Thanks! In response to the GitHub Repo request, I just made one. You can visit it by clicking here. All files are in the src folder, and all other Lua files have the Index.lua file as the parent, if you get what I mean.

There’s also a Releases page where I’ll most likely be keeping the module up-to-date more, compared to the Roblox asset store.

1 Like

Version 1.0.0 Update Log :tada: :100:

A new major version, nice! This update includes a few features, with more being added over the next few days. Here’s all the current features!

• “Enable Debugging” option.
  • Rewrote, and optimized code.
  • Changed :GetBoard to :GetBoardByID.
  • Rewrote DevForum post and GitHub readme.
  • Switch to Rojo.
  • Pre-Release Branch on GitHub.
  • Removed from Roblox Marketplace/Asset Store.
  • Comments in code altered.
  • MIT License introduced.
  • Trello Update Board

Update List From 0.14 to 1.0.0*

Now, that may seem like a lot but in reality, it’s not much. I’m currently struggling on what features to add, so please let me know.

Have a nice night, or day! :grin:

V0.14 Update Log

Version 0.14 Update Log
This is a pretty minor update. This update includes the switch to Rojo. You can review the release here.

I’ve also decided to remove the asset from the Roblox Marketplace/Asset Store, and only have the GitHub link. This change will slowly be pushed out.

1 Like

QVGK’s TrelloAPI Update

Hey everyone! QVGK’s TrelloAPI released in December of 22, with the last update being on January 3rd.

I just wanted to let everyone know that QVGK’S TrelloAPI 2 is currently in development, and will replace this post when released. You can check the current state of V2.0 by clicking here.

The documentation and Trello board have NOT been updated since January 3rd, and do not include V2.0 information.

Estimated release date is May 10th, but hopefully may come by May 5th.

1 Like