R15 Override Player Choice Issue

Hello - This is my very first post on the forum.

I am currently designing a game that will work off the R15 “Man” package, aka Robloxian 3.0, which was released in 2012 (shown in image 1 below).

This was converted to R15 at a later stage which is the version that I will be using (shown in image 2 below).

I am struggling to understand, in Game Settings, how to force the joining Player to adopt this body style. Where R15 will require UpperArm, LowerArm and Hand, all I am able to input is “Arm”

I can tell that using the UpperArm, LowerArm or Hand segments to use the Custom ID simply remove any mesh from the avatar and make it appear as the regular block rig.

A friend suggested that I use the R6 IDs, as there is only one part for each limb, corresponding to only one ID for each limb in the Game Settings. This returned the same result - the arm would simply default to no package.

When I attempt to save the Game Settings, it will refuse to save and return an error message, so I am unable to tell if the visuals show up correctly in-game.

Any and all help is appreciated. Using a different package or R6 is not a credible option to me.

Thanks

Upset_Custard

Yeah, this is because you’re using the incorrect id. You’re not actually supposed to supply any of the mesh ids in these fields, you’re supposed to supply the limb asset ids from the bundle. Mesh ids aren’t the same as the limb ids.

Bundles contain separate id’ed assets for each limb. When broken down in Studio, these limbs actually contain several folders in them: an R6 folder and 1-3 R15 folders. RigType helps determine which schema to use: R6 will parent the CharacterMesh from the R6 folder to the character, while R15 will use a more detailed process involving replacing the parts with the new ones.

You’ll need to put the limb ids here (not the R6 ids: two separate things):

To see why you need to use the above catalog assets and why just using a mesh doesn’t work, you can see how they’re fundamentally different by using InsertService to drop one of these into the DataModel then explore them for yourself. It’s a lot more detailed than just plucking an asset id.

game:GetService("InsertService"):LoadAsset(LIMB_ASSET_ID).Parent = workspace
2 Likes

Everything works as intended now.

Thanks so much!

1 Like