R15 Scaling - Avatar & Game Join

For users who have their avatar type set to R15, we now give you the option to tweak your scale on the avatar page! This scale is also used when your avatar joins R15 games. The ranges for scaling are between 95%-105% for height and 75%-100% for width, so it’s unlikely to break games.

If your game supports R15 and you don’t want to allow custom scales, you can turn this off by going to the Develop page, clicking on the “Games” side menu, and clicking the drop down to “Configure Game.” Set “Avatar Scaling Options” to Default if you don’t want custom scaling.

Note: Most packages don’t support R15 yet, but we’ll be updating all the packages soon to fix that. This will also change the format of packages, so if you have a game that relies on equipping body parts from the website, make sure to adapt to the new format.

We’d love to get your feedback on this feature! You can read more about it on the blog:
http://blog.roblox.com/2016/11/customize-your-avatar-with-r15-character-scaling/

23 Likes

I’d love to see more extreme scale options!

Nothing too crazy, but 95-105% for height I think only scratches the surface of what’s possible here.

I’d also love to see fat characters, so width past 100 :smiley:

15 Likes

I agree with you, here. It adds a higher ability to express yourself through your character.

8 Likes

I’d like to see the arms also scale with thinness because they seem a little too large on a skinny body if you’re using the default R15.

1 Like

blob.jpg

3 Likes

Naming the option to disable scaling “Default” doesn’t seem progressive

2 Likes

Maybe we should change it to “Default Scale”

1 Like

Something more descriptive like Uniform Scale would work

Uniform Scale makes me think that it allows any scale as long as the whole character is proportional.

1 Like

Maybe “Classic Scale”?

1 Like

Classic is not descriptive for someone who just joined

1 Like

Every character being uniform with each other is the idea

I’m seeing it as “Standard” – not “Default”. I think that wording is a good pick.

4 Likes

I don’t understand the problem with Default. That is exactly what default means. Do new users start with a randomized scale, or some other scale that isn’t the same as this one?

Calling old behavior the default is counterproductive when trying to establish a new norm. (Assuming Roblox wants folks to embrace the scaling changes)

Standard/Uniform would make a better replacement than Default. Default implies that it’s the “usually correct” answer in my mind. I would assume that Roblox would love to see as much conversion to the new scaling options as possible.

Maybe I’m overthinking it. Regardless, fun update!

1 Like

How does this scaling work with animations? Do animations have some kind of special built in thing that lets it work with scaling?

Scaling works automatically because animations only specify the rotation of the joints, not the distance between them. The only issues you might have are if your animations are detaching limbs and offsetting them, but that is rare.

1 Like

This does not seem to be the case with the default R15 animations.

i.e. when walking the torso moves up and down which is an offset.
At extreme large scales, this isn’t noticeable.
At extreme small scales, it’s exaggerated.

Would it be possible to multiply the offset values by our scale without changing the rotational values?
Something along the lines of: cf = (cf - cf.p) + (cf.p*scale)

6 Likes