R6 to R15 Adapter [Beta]: Enable R15 Tech in R6 Experiences

How do character physics work with this conversion? For some r6 experiences, it’s crucial that character physics is exactly the same.

42 Likes

The concept seems fine, but I think it will result in a lot of inconsistencies with the original R6 that take a long time to get fixed.

Particularly, I’d be curious to know whether this kind of thing would result in visible R15 “seams” on blocky avatars where you can clearly see the multiple segments of each body part despite the fact that they never move independently.

Besides this, I’m not sure how easy the transition to the adapter will be if we have to modify a good deal of menial functions in our code to accomodate it. Hopefully these issues will be resolved later on.

30 Likes

Excellent to see Roblox providing some first-class support for those who still wish to use R6 in their experience. I personally won’t be adopting this until Layered Clothing and UGC Bodies are more mature (and not as dodgy when it comes to vulnerabilities and bugs/crashes), but it’s great to see more transparency on what Roblox’s plans are going forward.

18 Likes

Support for animations that utilize external models (ex. weapon models) seems to be completely missing:

This is how it’s supposed to look like:

Sizing seems to be weird as well, the height is correct but the emulated R6 avatars just seem… tiny

Comparison: left is emulated, right is native

43 Likes

Will there be an animation pack for avatars that replicate R6 at a player choice level? because Imo, the current “Oldschool” animation pack, doesn’t give the same charm of R6

47 Likes

Since you mentioned that R6 will be deprecated eventually, what if we could have R6 like rig but with mesh deformation? Wouldn’t this allow “R6” to support all the newest features just fine? Something like this was already done by the community but it would be great if it was official option (perhaps a special character bundle), since there is a lot of people like me who like the appeal of R6, and I wouldn’t mind the rig bending, if it means supporting a close replica of R6.

Untitled Game - Roblox Studio 2021-07-07 19-13-55

Video credit: @kingdomkind.

75 Likes

I never enable layered clothes in my games. Besides looking completely uncanny and ugly, they have numerous stretching issues, crashing exploits, performance issues, massive size exploits, and all sorts of problems that have existed since their release. The same applies to dynamic faces and all the other metaverse fortnite-ripoff garbage that has been pushed for the last 3 years. I will continue to use R6 because I have yet to see a single R15 feature that looks interesting and performant enough to switch over.

59 Likes

Sure…

Cool feature, bad connotation.

47 Likes

So, you just invalidated my community resource…

Good job Roblox.

27 Likes

I mean to be fair you weren’t the first person to do that and definitely not the last

22 Likes

I know, but it doesn’t seem like their execution of it is the greatest. It reminds me of how bloated their animate script is.

This feature could break at any moment.

20 Likes

Highly agreed, but it’s still a beta.

16 Likes

So many new additions in the past few days lol, good to see work being done.

14 Likes

People will still use it.

If only Roblox just fixed the bugs with R6 instead of adding a “compatibility” layer. I know a number of bugs with R6 that have yet to be fixed.

15 Likes

“Since the adapter allows the R6 scripts to run on R15 bodies, when R15 avatars enter an R6 experience, they will behave similarly to their R6 counterparts but retain all the innovative features of R15, like layered clothing and animated heads.”

So essentially this post is saying that you can technically have both R15 and R6 combined in the same game, but you can only do a fake it til you make it approach by having everyone be R15 only, and the same animations as R6; With the R6 to R15 Adapter you will be adding ghost parts that will still be in the game but hidden to give the R6 effect which allows players to come in with UGC items and the new custom faces…

Which in turn players will be having extra parts and triangles to their game, which will seem miniscule on an individual level, but with 30-40 player servers (or higher) might receive a more noticable increase in lag (especially with UGC. and faces turned on)

I guess we can see how it goes, but apparently it’ll be switched to Opt-Out if everyone starts doing it meaning it’ll automatically work on ALL games, so it doesnt really matter what your real opinions are. I personally think that R6 can be a way to make your game more efficient, and will allow people with real poor computers to still be able to experience the games you make. Even if it’s only a few hundred parts/thousands of triangles.

30 Likes

Yeah, some people just seem to be stuck on the past. Don’t get me wrong I still find it outlandish to be seeing Layered Clothing, Facial Animations, and somewhat even Voice Chat (mainly because of its horrible UI).

We have to say farewell at some point, but games that depend on R6 models and are old should not be forced to migrate to R15, only updated games should be whenever the time comes. At least that’s my take, let me know what you think!

18 Likes

Will this increase the number of limb segments or change the names of body parts? Additionally will it affect any values of Motor6Ds? These are important details being left out.

23 Likes

Yeah I think everyone wishes that was the case, but it’s clear Roblox is ready to ditch R6 ASAP

17 Likes

Just tested this out on my R6 sports game. This is not ready at all.

First, spawning in the first time is completely broken. Check this clip for what I mean

External Media

After refreshing my character its fine, but all the collision groups are messed up, and more importantly, none of the animations work. Clip:

External Media

Here is a clip of how it is supposed to be with regular R6:

External Media

From what I’ve seen, this will not be as simple as enabling the setting and calling it a day. Games would require additional development to work with this change. I cant imagine older games which are no longer being developed being switched over to this new system, They would COMPLETELY break. PLEASE DO NOT STOP SUPPORTING R6 UNTIL THIS IS ALL FIXED!!!

41 Likes

Sadly, it probably will be. I thought this was going to be the case about a year ago and spent the time making a custom character for my needs.

It doesn’t really work too well, but it’s compatible with vehicle seats and health, so it’s not the worst.

edit: works fine but everyone has a bighead, but the problem is that tool animations don’t work!

18 Likes