PikaPy6 v1.0, a Custom R6 Mesh Deformation Rig

Changelog v1.0

Please report any bugs, down below it’s always improving!

• Released, open-source and free for all!

General Information

Hey Guys! I’ve noticed that there aren’t any mesh deformation R6 rigs on the devforum, as I could only find Dogu15, a r15 mesh deformation rig (check that out if you prefer R15, its epic!). I decided for me and my friend’s wip game, Dungeon Rush, that i would make a mesh-deformation R6 rig! I’ve also found that i’ve asked for help alot and not really returned any, so I think this would help make up for that deficit!

I’ve completely remade the R6 character in order for better topology to allow for better bending. I’ve also added elbows and knees, which are found on r15 characters as well, which is where the mesh deformation takes place!

What it looks like

That’s a video of it in blender; it’ll work the same when you import the animations into roblox at a 0.01 export scale from blender! Here’s what I call the jiggly arm in studio, a really quick animation just to show that the rig works!

PikaPy6 Advantages

• Mesh Deformation
  • Supports Clothing, when put on as surface appearance
  • Bendable Elbows and Knees
  • True to the R6 style, most can never tell they aren’t the same

PikaPy6 Disadvantages

• Needs custom animations, due to a custom rig
  • Clothes have a slight issue at the edges of the limbs, due to having a different UV map

Many issues will be improved and fixed on as the rig matures!

I’ve made my informed decision, where can i get it?

I’ve made a convenient google drive, where you can access everything, including every version of the rig! You can find it here.

Final Notes

I hope you enjoy this rig! If you’d like to help me in some way in return, please consider joining the communications server on me and my friend’s game, located here!
It’d really help us out! As i said before this rig is free and open-source and you can credit me if you wish to! If you find any issues please make sure to message me it and i’ll try my best to rectify it! Thank you for reading!

51 Likes

Me and KingdomKind have been using this rig in our game and thanks to its mesh deformation we were able to simply add procedural animations using inverse kinematics without any effort at all

8 Likes

Can you share how you did it? I have looked through every IK library and they don’t make sense on how to use them? I really have wanted to add IK for walking/running and add IK for things like holding tools and stuff but can’t figure it out.

2 Likes

Finally, I really found one. I use a skinned Dogu15, but this is much more better!

3 Likes

I can’t wait to check this out when I get back from my vacation! I was in a competition which Kingdom (Pika) also competed in and he’s certainly talented!

2 Likes

Hello can you tell me, i already made the animation but how to use this animation to your rig?

1 Like

Hello, after make the animation how to make the animation works? Is it just take the Animation local script from player character and replace the animation id?

1 Like

Heyo!, sorry I didn’t see your message, however I did see your dm and I’ve decided it’d be better to answer it here so others could see. Just essentially load the animation onto a humanoid or an animationcontroller just like you’d do with other mesh deformation rigs. Hope that answers your question.

1 Like

Can we use like how we change walk animation on default character rig?

1 Like

I think it’d be good to research of how to play animations on a rig. You’ll have to design the logic for animations to play when walking, jumping, running etc. (or alternatively just snag the default one, but that’s very messy)

1 Like

Well , yes that’s what I try to talk about, the local script on default character.

1 Like

Yeah, you’ll probably get away with just adapting the animation ids, possibly some other things aswell

1 Like

Oh but I wanna ask, let’s say I have a gun system etc, do I need to rescript the animation too? I don’t use Animation Instance but using script changing part of body.

1 Like

What do you mean? You’d treat this rig like a custom mesh deformation rig, as that’s what it is

1 Like

how would i uh export the animation from blender to roblox as there isnt the blender plugin in there

1 Like

is the head on this rig not animatable?

1 Like

after some testing around it seems that everything is fine on the default roblox animator but upon loading it into something like moon the head isn’t displayed. anybody know anything about this?

1 Like

Why head is not animatable ? :sob:

yea idk if it’s user error or what but it practically makes the entire thing unusable

i could fix it by removing head bone and manually making new one