R6 VR version 1 is now open sourced

What I’m working on
and also bootleg sfoth

1 Like

This is just what I’ve been looking for since coming over to Roblox when I learnt it had VR support. Roblox default VR handling is a little odd to say the least.

Your scripts seem to be working fine with a Quest 2 streaming over AirLink.

Just so you know, you can press Win + Alt + R to record your screen, you don’t need to post it on Vimeo.

1 Like

So I found to my slight disappointment that the system doesn’t have a built-in grabbing system (I’m making a test place for building with LEGOs and need that kind of system for, you know, stacking the blocks)
How would I go about implementing something like that? I’m trying to go for something like the Oculus system where you can grab blocks with the grip trigger.

(please don’t say it’s out of scope of the project and that you can’t help me)

ANOTHER THING! The arms would probably feel better if the connection to the controllers were at the front. As of right now, your controllers control the rear-side of the in-game arm. If you shifted the position of the controllers related to the arm up to the front, it would feel better. However I do see some physics-related problems with that, but it could be cool.

also your sfoth demo is looking awesome

I would love to being developing grabbing but sadly I’m still waiting for my new Rift S Optical cable to arrive. Very sorry for not including quality of life or just updates in general recently.

I have developed full VR object grabbing before but the code was extremely messy. Until I get my cable I wait and cry.

(I’ve known about this since the first post went up; I just didn’t respond)
I am glad to see there is finally another open-source VR character implementation beyond my Nexus VR Character Model and the exploiter tool CloVR. The demo videos seem pretty cool and include functionality that only got added into Nexus VR Character Model V.2.1 like proper character physics. I am curious: why R6? R6 is a legacy technology at this point and lacks a lot of newer features.

If you are looking for some suggestions, here is 2 I can think of from the demos and videos above:

1. Name it! If you are intending for games to adopt this, having a name will help a lot when people want to share it.
  2. If you plan to implement object grabbing, consider making it a stand-alone system that just relies on a character’s arms/hands. There isn’t a standard object grabbing implementation in the Roblox VR community, and it would be great to have an option if you are using your system, Nexus VR Character Model, or a custom system like a “VR Hands” game. A lot of people have asked me to make an object grabbing system, and I haven’t because I don’t have the motivation for it.
1 Like

Iv put the loader in ServerScriptService. Tried it in Roblox and it doesnt work. I opened a Baseplate place, did the same thing and doesn’t work. What am I supposed to do?

Go into game settings and change the avatar type to R6

It was already like that before.

Unfortunately because of ROBLOX’s systems, you have to reupload the non-loader version to your account, then change the ID in the loader to your asset’s ID. I have no idea why it is like this.

1 Like

Major overhaul in the works currently. Expect to see full sitting support, more optimizations. Settings, New locomotion types, and much more.
Just remember to be patient

3 Likes

Ok I found the issue, I forgot to own the module. That’s why it couldn’t work. Thanks!

New version prototype

2 Likes

That look’s sick! The animations and everything

As someone who’s also made their own R6 VR implementation, I guess I can answer this. It’s simply a matter of preference, IMO. I prefer how R6 looks over R15, there’s still quite a lot of games that use it due to it being (subjectively) simpler to program for and use, and the way a R15 character looks and handles in VR feel weird to me. The arms don’t ever match up, amongst other things. On the other side of the coin, it’s quite a common sight to see R6 characters have their arms detach from their bodies, making it feel a bit more natural to use and see to me and some other people.

1 Like

There is an issue. It seems i cant move.

Try using the version 2 prototype

What do those do? I can’t figure it out

All you need to do to get it to work is add the VR Loader into Workspace or ServerScriptService

ok, but what happens when you do that?