R60 Rig - Not animated yet

Not animated yet, but here is my new R60 rig which I aim to use an upcoming game of my choice. I created this specifically because I want to embody the most realistic animations in my projects.

22 Likes

where can i get this awesome piece of art

2 Likes

More joints isn’t always better on Roblox, because you end up with more seams. I would recommend cutting back a bit on the number of torso/waist joints, even if just to make clothing design less tedious (especially if you plan on making a female character). I would also recommend making the face more stylized; I’ve made more than my fair share of nightmare fuel by attempting photorealistic characters :eyes:

The winged characters in my game have 72 joints, with 16 joints per hand and 9 joints per wing. There’s only about 4-5 joints dedicated to the torso/waist/neck. In my animation system at least, waist joints can’t benefit as much from optimizations because they’re needed to calculate their descendant joints (the head in this case.)

8 Likes

They look pretty good to me. In fact, I think they’re about as realistic as things can get until we get mesh deformation >:)

1 Like

You probably want to smooth shade your normals. Those hard polygons don’t blend between parts well.

2 Likes

Really nice work! But animating this would be a nightmare

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply,
I use a lot of torso joints because about 3 of them will be dedicated to playing right and left turning animations when the player looks around.

As for joints being visible, I will put armor or clothing around the body, and things like long coats will be animated to match the character’s movement. Usually using dark colours is enough to mask any joints.

Right now I’m deciding whether to use the nornal roblox animation script which offers wasd movement, climbing and diving. My current movement system, made by a friend, uses controls where you can only go forward and have to turn using a or d. (You can see it in my game Mythical World)

While mostly better used in vehicles or quadrupedal animals, it does allow me to have things like toggling between running and walking, which I don’t know how to put on the normal roblox control script. I don’t script so my friends control script is the best option I have until I find out how to upgrade the default script.

What was your process of deciding how many Parts you want to have?

Does this impact performance greatly? Having so many parts in a Character, for 10 Players that is 700 parts already.

Animating like this would be NEARLY impossible to do that, and it requires A LOT of professional, especially if you’re into stop motion, otherwise this would be cool.

It doesn’t, I already have games which the player can play as dinosaurs with 100+ joints and there’s no lag.

won’t mesh deformation / skinning kinda make this silly

2 Likes

I thought you could only animate R6 and R15 rigs?

You can make any rig of any size or style animatable. It doesn’t even have to explicitly be shaped like a humanoid. R6 and R15 are just the stock rigs you work with - you can create your own custom rigs with custom joints. IIRC the only thing Roblox necessarily requires is the HumanoidRootPart for any rig.

You’ll want to stick with the most traditional form of movement, which is WASD. Roblox already offers the turning style of movement with arrow keys as well, but trust me when I say that it’s an incredibly frustrating system. Rather than forcing left/right to arrow keys, just rotate the upper body to match where the player looks, and if they turn too far, then have the player quickly step to rotate their waist and hips to match. You can see this in games like Just Cause 3, where when Rico is on top of a vehicle, this is what he does.

While this multi-joint rig is pretty neat from a concept standpoint, you could easily get away with having far less joints, especially if and when mesh deformation finally gets released to the public. You’ll probably be able to slim down how many torso pieces you have simply because you won’t have to worry about rotational actions creating seams. Tomarty is also right in that the more you have, the more you have to worry about, and even from a 2D/UI animation standpoint, having less is more.

1 Like

While this does look incredible, it does not seem very practical. I can’t think of anything besides a showcase that would benefit from this, but it’s still pretty cool!

I’ve alteady used rigs with more joints than this in two of my open world combat survival games, (Dinosaur World, Mythical world), and that’s what I plan to do with this. For example, my dinosaurs have around 20 tail joints, 10 torso joints and the remaining 60 joints go to every limb and finger.