I made this a few months ago for a game. It was used as the start point, then we decorated it.
It’s single player. Press Generate to make a cave
It’ll create a branching cave network of just about any size, and construct huge chimneys at the leaf nodes. It’s entirely uses seeded random numbers, so is completely repeatable.
Variables (NOTE - Whenever there are two numbers, the first is a multiplier where the current generation is the variable, and the second a delta)
- Length - Length of the long caves
- Width - Diameter of the long caves
- Cave Radius - Radius of the dome places at junctions
- Generations - How many times the path splits in two (things get very slow very quickly if you make this big!)
- Seed - There’s some randomness to the splits and the gradient
- Drop - Gradient. ie, how far the caves tend to drop ever n distance. Can’t remember what n is.
- leave radius - Radius of the chimneys at the leaf nodes, I think
- Y Noise - Uses perlin noise to adjust gradient
- R Noise - Ditto, for tunnel radius
- Noise Scale - Adjust the scale of the perlin noise for the above two. I think larger is smoother, but I might be misremembering.
I’d love to hear folk’s game ideas for this sort of terrain!