Range Fog Incoming

(posting on behalf of @maxvee)

Just a heads up. In a couple of weeks we will be replacing depth fog that used vertex depth (view space z coordinate) with range fog that uses the proper distance between each fragment and the camera.

The switch is fully automatic, you don’t need to do anything. Posting this so that nobody is surprised or alarmed when this happens.

Before:

After:

335 Likes

Does this mean fogs are now circular instead of rectangular??

42 Likes

Looks so much better then having things in a square. You’ve just gotta sort the skybox now :wink:

70 Likes

Alright! That issue has bothered me for a while when I was seeing the fog being too “linear”. Glad they introduced this.

15 Likes

Loosely connected: Fog controls for ViewportFrames when?

Also small features such as allowing decals, textures, certain particles not be affected by fog. Fog is currently very cumbersome to implement into games as it can break a ton of visual effects such as overlays and distant textures. BillboardGUI-based UI is completely useless, for instance.

Wondering what the future plans for are for this! :slight_smile:

15 Likes

This is a nice improvement. :+1:

6 Likes

I believe this is exactly what it means.

7 Likes

Super glad this is coming. I remember playing games with fog and an easy cheat was to use the side of your camera instead of the front as you could see farther into the fog. This will fix this and also make games that utilize fog more realistic. Great work guys :+1:

10 Likes

Oh… my! Horror games are gonna go to a next level with this new update!!

9 Likes

TL;DR: Radial fog.

Best lighting update other than FiB.

12 Likes

but are we going to see fog covering skyboxes?

45 Likes

Yes please! The fog would look so much cooler this way! Or at least add a option for this so anyone can use it in any style they want.

7 Likes

That’s amazing, I really like this :heart:

2 Likes

Love this! It looks so so much better! :smiley:

2 Likes

This is nice, I never really liked the old fog, this is a much needed improvement.

3 Likes

This update will be very useful for horror games if it changes the way how the fog works around the player,not just the camera direction, because people could easily abuse of the first person by looking sideways instead of foward.

3 Likes

Will we ever get a updated system for fog on how it looks? This is a improvement from before but fog seems like it could use a big update on how it looks visually and or be more realistic.

7 Likes

Glad to see the fog feature get some attention. It really needed some improvements.

5 Likes

Yes, yes please Roblox! I personally have a few ideas for quality-of-life updates and overhauls to the skybox and heavenly bodies.

5 Likes

Finally, some good bloxxin food :wink:

But for real, this is an awesome update! No more having to deal with weird fog distance shifts at the edges of the screen! Thank you :smile:

5 Likes