Real-Life transactions with Robux

This isn’t implemented right now; all just a hypothetical question, unless I am 100% certain this is legal to implement into a game.

I was wondering about the possibility of implementing an API system on ROBLOX which allows you to purchase real-life products using Robux. Say I put up a developer product for a sweater with an entire checkout page. Once the user checks out and purchases the item, I would physically ship the item out to them using the information I obtain through Shopify API.

This system would need to fulfill these requirements:

1. User would be required to be over the age of 13 using PolicyService.GetPolicyInfoForPlayerAsync, checking if AllowedExternalLinkReferences is true for everything in the array.
  2. All necessary PII (personal identifiable information) wouldn’t be stored on the game itself and would be sent out to an external API once the transaction is ready. Any information typed would be client-side to remain encrypted. The system would use as little PII necessary to make the transaction and would not ask for financial information. No PII would be locally stored, even as values, even in the middle of the transaction.
  3. Since ROBLOX’s terms of service states that virtual items cannot be sold for real-life money and vice versa, the system cannot process transactions that are other than Robux. Therefore, no card information is ever obtained. No real-life products in-game would be purchasable through real-life currency, and would not provide any references to an external website to make money transactions. Even though one may exist for the products, it would be hidden to remain with ROBLOX’s TOS.
  4. All code to make the transaction would only be generated when the user is ready to purchase the API product. This means it wouldn’t allow any person to make a transaction through robux until the API will 100% work, so non-refundable gamepass prompts won’t accidentally process.
  5. All fees, shipments and transactions would be processed through the Shopify API. No personal information other than the address of the person would be sent to the API, and is only sent once the user is ready to make the transaction.
  6. The robux obtained will be processed through DevEx later, but will be processed by the Shopify API to pay for all shipping and taxes, to comply with local regulations. If the business has the money to pay for shipping and taxes, it can just make the money back for it when DevEx is processed. For anyone questioning the government’s stance on this, the money would be made through ROBLOX’s rules, all fees would be correctly processed through Shopify, and the government gets its taxes.

I think through these conditions, it’s surprisingly possible to make a transaction system and remain a legal system… What do you guys think?

2 Likes

ROBLOX’s ToS for this type of stuff is extremely vague in my opinion.

You should read up about how that service stores data, especially due to Right to Erasure, or better yet figure out a way not to process almost no information about the purchase as possible just to be safe.

Keep in mind that having UI that even remotely refers to PII, password boxes, postalcode box etc have a extremely high chance of your account being terminated.

Overall, some changes need to be done, mainly regarding PII and how data will be processed. Use one-time-use 100% discount codes if possible.