Realistic artificial intelligence in a fighting game that acts just like actual players

First, take a look at this minute-long video.
At a glance, this looks like a team fight between players. But there is one problem, HOURS is a singleplayer game. So who are these supposed players?
The answer is simple. They are bots coded to act just like real players would. They even play well enough to occasionally beat their creator. What do you think?

5 Likes

Best bot system I’ve ever seen and played. Forget ‘Sword Fighting Bot’ games. No idea how it works, considering I’ve never ventured into AI in my life, but it’s clear that this is a complex system that took a lot of work. They properly use the same abilities that are occasionally available to the player between stages. Visitor and Artisan even know how to aim. You could definitely say that they’re smarter than the one person who spams and waits for bots to come to them. No one can outshine this system.

What I think would be interesting is if the bots could learn (in the far future, anyway) from players’ salvos. There’s only a few adaptive bots out there, but only through communication with players, not active movements to counter what the player’s doing and all.

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted to make this but good job!

1 Like

In my opinion, games with realistic AI can have a very big impact, as they have a lot of possibilities, for example, The Last of Us: Part 2 has a very complicated AI, which can somewhat make the game, along with the environment, make feel like a real world. Or if you want to make a linear game (it doesn’t have to be necessarily linear, it can be like Detroit: Become Human or just your general PvP game), you could also use AI instead of players, as it won’t ruin the fun for the player, as an AI can’t hack, cheat in any form of way, spoil the story or so. It can be also good when the player doesn’t have any friends to play with, (like me) in that case it would be also good. The only thing that I find somewhat bad is Performance, as it requires a lot of raycasting, which can impact the performance. But overall, I think that games with BOTs/AIs can be generally good, or maybe even better than average multiplayer ones, and it would be cool for more games with them to rise up, but that’s just my opinion.

2 Likes