Realistic car camera?

Hey, everyone, I hope you all are doing well.
So I’ve been trying to figure out how to get a somewhat realistic camera shake for my car chassis. Anyways I put a video of a well-known video game. I’m trying to achieve a similar effect to the video but so far I haven’t really had any luck. If you could point me to any specific tutorials or references that would help me achieve this it would be much appreciated.

Video:

Sorry for the low-quality video.
But as you can see when I got to a higher speed my camera would start to shake and move slightly further behind the car.

Thanks,
Aura

6 Likes

You can change the FieldOfView property on the camera based on the RPM to achieve the zooming effect. I’m not sure if this will help you achieve the shaking, but what I do for smooth cameras is I play a quick tween on the camera’s cframe every frame to make it smoothly follow the subject. I’ve never noticed any performance issues.

@AxisAngle did a talk about springs and how you can apply them to cameras during one of the RDC 2020 panels. Roblox will make these recordings public in the next couple of weeks so look out for those.

3 Likes

In addition to this, I believe if you try to use math.random() based on the RPM, either for the camera orientation or the FOV you may be able to create a shaking effect.

3 Likes

Interesting I haven’t thought about doing that. Ill definitely try that.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks that helps a lot. I’ll Implement that into my cars camera.

You are able to change the CFrame of the camera via game.Workspace.CurrentCamera.CFrame but you will need to have knowledge of how to use CFrames and CFrame angles.

For ac6 you can try this script, put in into plugins

local car = script.Parent.Car.Value

local DriveSeat = car.DriveSeat

local DSV = car.DriveSeat.Velocity.Magnitude

local camera = game.Workspace.Camera.FieldOfView

while wait(0.01) do

local someval = car.DriveSeat.Velocity.Magnitude/(speed when fov extends)

game.Workspace.Camera.FieldOfView = (any fov you want) + someval

end

2 Likes

the camera goes backward, the FOV doesn’t change or isn’t very noticeable. I’ve achieved something similar with the camera being dynamic but with that comes the camera going too far back