Realistic vs. Dark. Which theme is the best for my game?

Hello,
I’ve recently started working on my new RPG game, which features an open-world for players to explore, the game is HEAVELY focused on combat and dungeon conquering. Therefore, I’m actually kind of between those themes I wanna use.

Realistic

A nice-looking theme for the game, quite fits the environment, and is perfect for cinematic shots. It might not be the ideal theme for an RPG game, but I guess that’s my style.

Dark

A dim atmosphere, perfect for a dungeon-themed game, but not great for an RPG game. I actually want to include both, this theme will be present near dungeon entrances, while the other is just the default one.

Alright, what theme should I go with?

• Realistic :desert_island:
  • Dark :ghost:
  • Both ¯_(ツ)_/¯
  • Both but in seperate locations :world_map:

0 voters

2 Likes

I have to say, it was really difficult for me to vote on this one. Because it depends on the ambiance you’re trying to create for your RPG game.

Is it a fantasy one? (if so, then the realistic and bright one suits it more). The Dark one is a bit more realistic, and it can be used if you’re trying to create an eerie environment.

Yet, if it comes down; I think having the variety and change of maps in different areas is ideal. Make the audio change as well, and make this create a different vibe when the players are exploring the open world.

This will create a feeling in the player that there are more things to explore, and this is commonly used throughout open-world games (such as the implementation of biomes)

Anywho, good luck with your RPG game! :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for your detailed opinion…

I agree with your point, having different ambiances on each area makes the game feels large and diverse, and encourages exploration.

Also, the game is based on a realistic view, with some fantasy included especially the magical weapons.

1 Like