Realm of Aether, an RPG concept, requesting feedback

So, I’m not really sure if I can post this here, but uh, yeah. I’m planning to make an RPG story game, similar to something like Entry Point for example.

Reasoning for the game itself

You can always go onto Roblox, and find some sort of story game, maybe with a couple different endings, but they are all sort of generic, being that you can play it, finish it, and then be unable to expect the same but different game. But then take for entry point as an example. It has a story, but its actually fun to go back through it again because its a fast-paced game, being either a stealth game or a shooter game depending on how you play, with differences each time you play due to “seeds,” while these other story games are the same thing over and over.

How the gameplay will work

Battles: A fast paced system, the tech side might be something like phantom forces, or a bit like world zero, and the magic side will have abilities at their disposal to hit the enemy with. I dont have the specifics ready yet though, so for now the battle system might not be like this (how I described it) exactly, but similar.

Leveling system: A normal experience system, fight enemies, get exp. Level up, get a point into some sort of tree. Each “branch” of the tree will have its ups and downs, for example maybe there’s a melee class, or a ranged class. Ranged would be weaker when taking damage, but can hit enemies with precision from a range, dealing high damage. A melee class would have to be able to be tankier when taking hits from enemies, and maybe hitting the enemies harder.

The world: it will probably be semi-open world, with some barriers that need you to unload one part of the world and open another (to reduce lag) while travelling. Some areas will also be restricted per level or per quest, and also lower levels might want to avoid some spots, for example the endgame area.

Questing: Basic questing system, probably will be similar to legend of Zelda’s questing system, with the main quest, and a lot of side quests you can do.

There will be more that I can’t think of now, but if you want to suggest a different system, or some changes to some of the systems I already have up, then that would be appreciated.

The story.

I thought this would be a good spot to put what I want the world to be like as well, so here it is: It will probably be a Magic/Tech based world, where some characters have magical abilities, and others have machines or powerful weapons. Going back to the tech tree, one half could be more tech/modern based and the other magic based.

Now for the story itself: The player starts out in some sort of village, probably taking a nap or helping some farmer or something, when the village gets attacked and they are woken up. The village itself doesn’t have much military or form of defense, so they have to escape. After a while, the survivors find a settlement, and see if they can stay there, where they also learn that there is a raider organization that has started going around terrorizing people and stealing their stuff. The player decides to try and help out the village with defending from the raiders and other things, but has to go through a “test” (This will be the tutorial.) In the test, they are shown the basics of magic, and the basics of tech, then are tasked to train against someone, where after they win, they go through an obstacle course. Afterwards, they are on a regular guard duty when the village gets attacked by some strange creatures, which the guardsmen using magic eventually take care of them, though during the chaos some raiders make it in, where there are just so many raiders attacking at once that it seems the raiders will be victorious, until something happens. I wont go into what exactly will happen,

I’m not really sure what would work better in this setting that I am thinking of right now, a low poly styled game, or a realistic type of game, so I am basically asking: what would work better? a low poly styled game, or a realistic looking game? I’m not great at making realistic settings, but I think it might actually go well here.
If you want to give feedback onto this idea (only a concept right now) that would be appreciated.
If I should change this “topic” in anyway, (make it a whole page instead of opening tabs, etc.) then I can I guess, I’m putting this here since I’m new to making topics.

3 Likes

You haven’t decided on a battle system. Decide how, because this a huge thing that will decide whether the other mechanics work well.

I think that the game will do well. There are two great questions to ask yourself whenever your designing a game. They are:

1. What makes your game stand out from others?
    This helps you find a unique selling point (or a USP) which will make players want to play your game more over a different game. The lore element is considered to be one, but I’ll recommend to add one more (in the Battles or the Questing, preferably) will improve your game further. Just make sure to not overdo it though.

2. Can you summarize your game in one sentence?
    This helps with over-scoping (doing too much). It will also helps summarize your game for new players to new what your game is about instead. A good way to structure one is this way: “The player [some sort of action, usually the USP] to achieve [a goal]”

These two questions are what I ask myself when I start to design a new game.