Recalculating normals in blender messes up faces

Hello! I am making a model in blender for Roblox and the mesh is perfect but a couple faces are inside out but when I go to recalculate them it messes up the mesh.

Is there anyway I can recalculate them but keeping them to look the same?

Examples:

How its supposed to look after faces are recalculated:

What I get:

I’ve tried to sharpen the edges around it but it still didn’t look right. I’ve also tried deleting the faces and then re add the faces and that also didn’t look right. I’m sure splitting it into 2 parts would work ok but I’d prefer keeping it 1 whole mesh if possible.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

1 Like

Has anyone got a solution to this please?

Thanks!

When you recalculate the mesh’s face you are also changing the way the lighting interacts with the object. If you notice on the top image you embedded there is a slight shadow, this is because the face is inheriting the shadow from the other side of the object which assumingly has a shadow being displayed onto the face. When you flip the face it recalculates the lighting to use the exterior lighting, and therefore gets rid of that darker effect.

You can bake shadows onto maps in Blender to preserve the shadow effect you’re going for. Or you could simply recolor that part of the texture to make it seem darker. There are a ton of videos on this subject all over social media platforms and search engines!

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply, I’ve changed the viewport mode to solid mode to remove the textures and it still looks funny. I’m not really sure how to do texturing or anything in Blender so I might not understand completely what your saying.

Would there be any possible way to invert the shadows on those faces?
I think the exact problem is that some faces are shade flat and others are smoothed, I’m not too sure. I could have them as 2 separate meshes but that just defeats the whole purpose of me removing sharp edges and duplicate vertices.

assuming your mesh isnt super ultra high res just select the faces manually, alt + n and flip the inverted ones

I’ve tried that and it made it look funny. Flipping and recalculating seem to do the same thing.

I used sharp edges in that corner and heres how it looks. It looks good

But a result of it is this tiny hard to see crease that’s eye catching to my eye lol

Tick DoubleSided on your mesh, if you dont really care about peformance in your game

I do care about performance of my game lol

I’ve come up with a solution which was to separate the side from the front. I’ve rejoined the 2 meshes together which leaves me with 12 duplicated vertices but if I remove them it’ll go back to the weird faces.

Thanks everyone for your help!