Recommended Image File Size?

I’ve noticed pretty much that Roblox tend to downscale the quality of images a lot and that I would need to increase the resolution of my images to offset that. The problem is that after increasing the resolution of the images, the file size would hence get bigger which on average would take a lot longer to replicate client side.

I read a little bit that Roblox or was it Remote Events…? could only send 30kb size of data a second not including those hidden. Right now I have a box which has a size of 73k, so I’m thinking that it would take just for that box to take more than an entire 2 seconds to fully replicate to client side.

So my question is, what’s the maximum recommended data size should I export individual images at for high quality? And minimum recommended data size for high speed replication without losing too much quality?

I believe the image’s resoultion should be around 420 squared or whatever standards certain textures are. It is still subjective to the application of the image. I believe the maximum size of images on Roblox is probably around 1000x1000.

I know it’s a little bit similar but I’m referring to the actual image packet(s) size, not the resolution.

According to Game Assets on Developer Hub:

Roblox utilizes images in .png , .jpg , .tga , or .bmp format.

Why would you consider anything about remote events and images? They don’t have any relation between those at all, except the reference to the image.

Also the resolution is the final size of the image in the end, because most formats are uncompressed. Apparently .jpg files are usually better at large resolutions(photographic images) while .png and the others(not sure about .tga) is suited for accurate images.

That said, instead of worrying about the replication, try utilizing ContentProvider and preload the assets before they are shown. The only issue you will face with large images is possibly lag because of how much memory the images occupy.

Well the issue that I think I will run into is that my game takes an entire hour to load because I didn’t take into consideration of how much wifi of over 20 images uses, which has 100kb+ data size to load to a player. Causing them to leave the game.

I had specifically said that somewhere I read that either Roblox(and if I’m wrong, remote events) can only send at max 30kb of data per second.

Did you know that gradients take up a ton of file size? Again I know that the maximum resolution I can have is 1024×1024 and that I’m not referring to resolutions.

Edit: If what I said came out in an extremely wrong way, then I’m sorry. I’m a little frustrated that my question isn’t getting understood well.

Gradients? Just some technical detail.

If you’re going to keep an average size, use 256^2(512^2 if detailed enough). If the image lacks a significant texture, use minimum size like 64^2 or 128^2. I think you’re trying to optimize images for poor internet connection, not the hardware.

The recommended sizes are huge ifs depending on application of the images.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m trying to do. I want the player to just quickly get into the game and start playing before thinking about leaving the game. I’ll check the article out then.

Don’t use gradients as images.

Actually my images have like 4 different points I use gradients. I would have to split my images if I want those gradients.

The Roblox client does not use remote events to fetch assets. If I recall correctly there is a 50kB/s limit per player for data sent over remote events/functions.

The client will fetch assets from a content delivery network at a speed much faster than 50kB/s.