Recommended sound file compression, what quality?

I was wondering about quality on audio and its compression and I can’t figure out which quality between 1-10 is recommended. What compression is recommended for…

• SFX (i.e. explosions, clicks and guns)
  • Music
  • Ambience

…in all possible uploadable audio formats?

2 Likes

I mean, How are you compressing the audio? Physical rack-mounted gear or a virtual studio?

You can just choose between 2 sound formats mp3 and Ogg and Ogg is the winner here because it got a bit rate that can vary compared to mp3s constant one (pretty much wasting precious size!)
Also, try to keep everything as high quality as possible i would recommend just a slight compression because it the difference will be unnoticeable but chances are that the size will be much smaller.

Sounds are very underrated and many think that it isnt important to have high quality audio in your game but that’s just wrong.

It is a virtual studio, Audacity.

On another note, it is interesting that you might be working with physical equipments on audio rather than digital. Or at least has some experience to it.

1 Like

I like using physical since i have more experience when it comes to it.

plus i find the old ways of making music a bit funner and easier than a massive virtual studio with a bunch of inbuilt sounds, makes you improvise with keyboards and other things you can find

1 Like

an example of the gear i use is the following

—recording—
behringer eurolive B205D for monitor speaker
(X2) stagg SDM70 (SM57 replica)
behringer u-phoria UMC404HD
Soundcraft EMP6 analogue mixing console
random no-bull music gear cables
korg cliphit drumkit
casio CTK240 keyboard

—my personal audio setup (sorta hi-fi but PA at the same time)—
Soundcraft EPM6 mixing console
prosound 250 watt 8 ohm passive 15 inch PA speaker (Acts as a mid range when i use 4 way on my crossover)
(X2) prosound passive 8 inch 150 watt 8 ohm PA speaker
(X2) Max SUB12 800 watt 12 inch subwoofers
Citronic CX34 5 way Crossover
Behringer EPQ304 300 watt power amplifier 8 ohms
qtx Q1000 1000 watt power amplifier 8 ohms
(alot) No-bull XLR and 1/2 inch jack cables and other random cables

1 Like